Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Made my own Bacon  (Read 12389 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Made my own Bacon
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »
I decided to go with curing in salt, sugar, and maple syrup without the nitrates.  When it's done, I'll hot smoke it to 150F using either maple or apple or both.  It's only ~5 lbs worth so I don't expect it to last too long.  I'll take some lardons to a work BBQ, then slice up the rest and freeze it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2011, 07:35:19 pm »
I decided to go with curing in salt, sugar, and maple syrup without the nitrates.  When it's done, I'll hot smoke it to 150F using either maple or apple or both.  It's only ~5 lbs worth so I don't expect it to last too long.  I'll take some lardons to a work BBQ, then slice up the rest and freeze it.

So how did it turn out?  No pictures?  Did it happen? ;)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011, 08:21:30 pm »
It happened.  No pictures of that batch, it's gone. ;D

The next one I did leaving out the maple syrup and using some pepper, garlic, and bay leaf.  There's still some of that - do you want to see pics of the vacuum sealed bags?  They're in the freezer but I could snap a quick pic and post it . . . it looks like bacon. ;)  This version tastes less like traditional bacon than the previous batch though, I'm not sure I like the recipe as well.  The next batch I'll probably use some pink salt.
Tom Schmidlin