Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Decanting question  (Read 1734 times)

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
Decanting question
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:43:27 pm »
I was planning on brewing my beligian tripel recipe up tomorrow (Sunday) and I did my yeast starter (2.5 L) on Thursday, planning to chill the starter Saturday night and decant on Sunday. I don't have a stir plate and have just been shaking it up every chance I get. I have had a some things come up and would really rather brew today, but the starter was given a good shake about 30 minutes ago. Will the 3-4 hours or so be long enough for the yeast to settle enough to decant? Or would I be much better off sticking to my original plan?  I wouldn't necessarily mind pitching the full starter but I worry with it being so large that it would affect the whole batch. Any advice woule be appreciated.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Decanting question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:49:07 pm »
If it was me, I'd stick with the original plan.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:04:59 pm »
After searching through some threads it seems to be a much better idea to wait until tomorrow.

What exactly did beginner homebrewers do before the internet?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »
What exactly did beginner homebrewers do before the internet?

Good question!  When I started brewing in 98, I think about the only internet resources around were the usenet group rec.crafts.brewing, the HBD, and Skotrat's RatChat.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:40:21 pm »
If it was me, I'd stick with the original plan.

+1.  I like to make starters bout a week in advance though.  A few days of growth and a few to settle out, then decant.  That seems to work well for me.