Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Aeration  (Read 2812 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Low Aeration
« on: March 07, 2011, 08:23:31 pm »
Went to aerate the batch that I brewed today after pitching the yeast and realized my oxygen tank was kicked.  There might have been some minor amounts contributed to the wort but I didn't see much surface activity when using the aeration stone. 

I'm fermenting this one in a bucket so I couldn't easily shake the hell out of it like I would if it was in a carboy.  The transfer from the kettle to the bucket was fairly vigorous with a good amount of glugging and I stirred it up once in the bucket with a spoon as best I could but I'd definitely say the aeration on this one is on the low side.

It's a 1.059 lager fermenting at 48F pitched with a very healthy starter.

What say you all?  Should I just let it ride and see what happens?  Or should I head out to Home Depot tomorrow morning before work and grab a new oxygen bottle and give it another dose?  If I do that I'll be adding the oxygen about 12 hours after pitching the yeast which still should be okay, but I'm on the fence if it's necessary.  I'm tempted to let it ride and see what happens.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
Re: Low Aeration
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:28:44 pm »
I wouldnt risk infection....let it ride!
Beer in various stages!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:30:20 pm »
How much O2 do you think it received?

If it got at least a minute I would let it ride with that.

The other option is to sterilize a long spoon and spoon the bejebus out of it right now and you'll be fine with that.
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:32:50 pm »
I don't think it got much in the way of O2 at all.  If it got a minute I'd be perfectly fine with that.  I did stir it up pretty well, but I'm pretty sure there isn't 8 ppm in there.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:34:07 pm »
I don't think it got much in the way of O2 at all.  If it got a minute I'd be perfectly fine with that.  I did stir it up pretty well, but I'm pretty sure there isn't 8 ppm in there.

I would let it go with that. It should be fine IMO.
Ron Price

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:22:50 am »
might be a good time to look up those olive oil threads. iirc, it can be used in place of oxygen?
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:24:37 am »
might be a good time to look up those olive oil threads. iirc, it can be used in place of oxygen?

Good idea...didn't think about that.  :)
Ron Price

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:02:05 am »
Mix stir. I used to sweat using pure O2. Now I'm too lazy and cheap frugal to deal with it...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:35:03 am »

According to a couple tests I've sen on the homebrew level, I really doubt that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:36:12 am »
Mix stir. I used to sweat using pure O2. Now I'm too lazy and cheap frugal to deal with it...

Yep, that's my recommendation, too.  AFAIAC, it works as well as O2 and is a lot cheaper and easier.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:03:36 am »

You can definitely get a nice frothy head on that wort/beer with a mix-stir. If you're using a bucket you can also sling chit everywhere if you're not careful. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:25:12 am »

According to a couple tests I've sen on the homebrew level, I really doubt that.

I was standing there this morning in my kitchen with a dropper full of olive oil in my hand but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  I'm going to let this one ride.  If it flops it flops and I'll brew another one  :-\
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:41:07 am »
Sounds like you were going to use too much, anyway.  The recommended amount is about what clings to the end of a toothpick.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 10:44:24 am »
Yeah, I knew that I was just evaluating potential delivery methods before I gave up on the idea.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 10:45:06 am »
If HD is not too much out of the way for you, you may as well pick one up ( I noticed that you posted that yesterday) since you’ll want to get a new bottle anyway.

Recently I started a new bottle of O2, not because I used too much O2, but because I must have left the regulator open. The interesting thing was that with the same amount of bubbling from the wand it took me twice or more as long to get my batch to 8 ppm (ideally I want 10-12 ppm in a lager). I first thought that the DO (dissolved oxygen) meter is broken and I tested it in vigorously shaken wort which did show ~8 ppm. The O2 is a different brand than I had before and just to test this I’m going to pick up a bottle of the brand I used previously to see if that really made the difference.  I was utterly surprised since I didn’t plan on having to mess around with oxygenation and repeated DO readings.

Kai