Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hot ‘n Bothered Beer Mustard  (Read 22683 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Hot ‘n Bothered Beer Mustard
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 10:53:03 am »
I just ordered all the ingredients for this recipe from Penzey's.  I'll give it a try as soon as I get them. 

Any secrets to preparing the recipe?   Tips or tricks?
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 11:01:55 am »
I just made another batch a couple days ago. One cup of seeds make about a quart of mustard. This time I went 50/50 with the white and brown.

Ground the mustard in the spice grinder but am wondering if it is really necessary. I also just used cold water and ice-cubes and let it sit at least 10 minutes before adding the acid-based liquid.

For that I used 10oz of a particularly good Abbey beer that I made and 1/4 cup of vinegar.

So it was "beer mustard". :D Taste is really rich and complex and will shape up to be a really fine mustard.

I just ordered all the ingredients for this recipe from Penzey's.  I'll give it a try as soon as I get them. 

You want to use cold liquid to increase the heat and the acid sets it. So if you like really hot mustard don't add the juice/vinegar/wine/beer right away. That's the main trick to making mustard.

Supposedly if you make plain mustard you can leave it at room temp and it won't spoil. I leave mine in the fridge though I'd like to let it ferment a bit like they did in the old days. I think they used the must from winemaking. So will have to try that and I'll use another beer and it's dregs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 11:09:47 am »

You want to use cold liquid to increase the heat and the acid sets it. So if you like really hot mustard don't add the juice/vinegar/wine/beer right away. That's the main trick to making mustard.

Supposedly if you make plain mustard you can leave it at room temp and it won't spoil. I leave mine in the fridge though I'd like to let it ferment a bit like they did in the old days. I think they used the must from winemaking. So will have to try that and I'll use another beer and it's dregs.

I'll try that.  Nice tip euge...thanks. 
Ron Price

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 07:51:13 pm »
I just made another batch a couple days ago. One cup of seeds make about a quart of mustard. This time I went 50/50 with the white and brown.

Ground the mustard in the spice grinder but am wondering if it is really necessary. I also just used cold water and ice-cubes and let it sit at least 10 minutes before adding the acid-based liquid.

FWIW, I don't think it's worth the effort to grind them in a grinder. However, I have never done it that way. I just let the seeds get plump from the vinegar as they sit in the jar I will use, and use an immersion blender to grind them. Very easy, and no extra mess to clean up.
Kyle M.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 07:55:58 pm »
I'd like to try some mustard. What do the seeds cost and where do you get them?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 08:52:47 pm »

I get them from a supermarket that has spices in bulk. Maybe Trader Joe's has Mustard seeds. Like a Whole Foods... Anyway, I pay next to nothing for them since they weigh very little.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline m.a.hummel

• 1st Kit
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
I found that Penzey's has really great prices on mustard seed. Luckily, one opened up on the other side of the city a few months ago. I think I paid $5 for a pound of whole seeds. Check out their website. They ship too.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 06:14:49 pm »
Do you guys generally use mustard powder along with the crushed seeds or are the seeds enough by themselves. I've seen recipes both ways.

Thanks for the heads up on Penzey's. They have some good prices and the shipping is fair as well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 01:59:20 am »
I generally use both, because I can't get the seeds ground fine enough.  Although I've made mustard with just seeds, and that works well too.  Really, i think it just depends on how gritty you like your mustard.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 02:26:06 pm »
I just use the seeds. Pulverize in the spice-grinder (mrCoffee mill) and then prepare mustard in the blender.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 05:37:54 pm »
I use both seeds & powder, and also a combination of yellow & brown mustard (in both seed & powder). It is hard to find brown mustard powder here locally, but it is easily available online - Penzey's is one good source. Using some of each adds complexity, but certainly isn't necessary.

I have used a small coffee grinder to grind the seeds, but recently have been using the stick immersion grinder. I have found it difficult (time-consuming) to grind the seeds fine, so I combine them with mustard powder. I like a grainy mustard so this isn't a problem for me. I just grind a reasonable amount & call it good, adding the powder so that I get a grainy mustard in a somewhat creamy base. You can go the other route and use just mustard powder if you prefer a smooth, creamy mustard.

If you leave the mustard out at room temp (for up to several weeks), it will cure and mellow gradually. Once it's put into the fridge, the cold temp prevents further mellowing. I usually don't bother with this as I add habanero, ginger, horseradish, etc (some or all in any given batch) for additional flavor & heat - not interested in 'mellowing' it.

Mustard is so easy and forgiving. You can't hardly screw it up. It will come out differently depending on what you do, but will almost always be as good or better than commercial mustards. And, like with beer, you can make it to fit your own taste and preferences.

I've never 'fermented' mustard, but my understanding is that you add some whey and then let it sit for at least a few days, allowing a lacto-fermentation to occur. May try it with my next batch just to see how it is. Will report back when I do, though it may be a while as I just made a batch of mustard. I usually do a double batch of the recipe that I posted when I started this thread. That makes for a bunch of jars of mustard. I give away a number of jars from each batch to family & friends, and then keep the rest in my garage beer fridge till I go through them.

Anyhow, I'll post back when I get around to trying a batch with lacto. I'm guessing the whey has enough lacto on it to start the fermentation, but don't see why we couldn't pitch our own yeast or bugs. Maybe I'll try splitting a batch and using whey, some cultured lacto, some ale yeast, and also some brett in separate jars. Brett mustard, hmmmm.... I like the idea. Worth a shot. Anyway, I'll report back when I get around to trying to ferment the mustard (but again, it's certainly not necessary to do so. Mustard is easy & forgiving).

Go for whatever flavor(s) you like,
Mark
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL