Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Over aging?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
Over aging?
« on: February 26, 2011, 02:57:17 am »
Is it possible to age too long? I have heard the longer the better. So I put in a double hops IPA and am planning to bottle for 5 months. The recommended minimum is 2 weeks. Is it possible the beer will go bad?
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
Re: Over aging?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:19:58 am »
It is possible to age too long, and you need to think about what you are trying to achieve through aging.

Your beer will have a bottled shelf life of at least 6 months assuming that it hasn't been infected or oxidised.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:16:32 am »
IPA's are one style that are best drank fresh.  Some beers, such as a barleywine, definitely benefit from aging but others may or may not.

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »
Thanks guys! This was for a birthday party and would of been a disaster. I think I'll brew another batch closer to the date.
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 05:11:27 pm »
don't worry about it if you want to brew another batch do so. but I would bet that the 5 months would not be a big deal.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline anthayes

• 1st Kit
    • HayesenBrau
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:18:04 pm »
IPA's are one style that are best drank fresh.  Some beers, such as a barleywine, definitely benefit from aging but others may or may not.

I think that you will find that English IPAs are better after 18 months. At that point the hops will have softened and melded with the malt.

Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent
Soek jy die oerkroeg se bier

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:09:26 pm »

I think that you will find that English IPAs are better after 18 months. At that point the hops will have softened and melded with the malt.

Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent

That's a good point, and truthfully I think it's one reason that I don't care for English IPAs all that much.  But it's horses for courses, isn't it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell