Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Paris Homebrewer Meeting  (Read 24386 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
First Paris Homebrewer Meeting
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:05:41 am »
I'm organizing Paris' first ever (maybe?) homebrewer meeting but am not sure what to talk about. I figure a tasting or two of some recent beers, but what else could be done besides that? Any and all suggestions are welcome!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: First Paris Homebrewer Meeting
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:41:04 am »
Having a tasting, or other type of presentation (style, technique, etc) would certainly be a big plus and would keep people interested.

Beyond that, at a first meeting, I'd want to discuss what the attendees would like to see ongoing - frequency & location of meetings, goals of the club, upcoming events (beer festivals, pub crawls, possible brewery visits etc), get a sense of how many of brewers (or interested potential brewers) each attendee might know as possible future members, etc. Really, what you want to do is see what the attendees would like the club to do or be like.

You want to have your answer to these questions (and others that may come up) ready to help spark discussion. Do you have any sense yet of how many may attend? You don't need a large number to get things rolling, but certainly consider how you are going to publicize the event - beer shops, beer bars, homebrew supply shops (if any), etc. 
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:19:25 am »
In terms of where to advertise, pretty much everybody interested in brewing goes to this one beer shop that's pretty centrally located, and the owner's OK with having the meeting there, as well as leaving out flyers. He's a homebrewer himself.

Brewery tours, that's a great idea. There's also a maltery not too far away.
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:47:53 am »
Great news phil!

Some things to do and topics of discussion:

Brewery Tours
tastings
homebrew competition
mashing
equipment
recipe development
fermentation
group grain/hops purchase
etc...
Ron Price

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:09:33 am »
Have a meeting dedicated to actually brewing a beer if there's a lot of people new to brewing. You can do an extract batch to keep within a reasonable timeframe (depending on the audience's attention span). Good luck.
Mark Gres

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:16:58 am »
Have a meeting dedicated to actually brewing a beer if there's a lot of people new to brewing. You can do an extract batch to keep within a reasonable timeframe (depending on the audience's attention span). Good luck.

Well, you see, you're allowed to BBQ on the Champ de Mars (that's where the Eiffel tower is). My plan (seriously) is to have a 'visibility' club meeting in front of the tour eiffel, doing an extract batch with my electric kettle hooked up to a car battery.

My wife is going to check with the Mayor's office to make sure we don't need any special permits for having a CO2 canister. I hope to do it sometime this summer.
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:17:35 am »
And of course I'll post pics here afterwards.
----

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:18:31 am »
We've got some ideas for new clubs posted on the AHA Club Resources wiki: http://ahaclubs.homebrewersassociation.org/NewClubs.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:33:32 am »

Well, you see, you're allowed to BBQ on the Champ de Mars (that's where the Eiffel tower is). My plan (seriously) is to have a 'visibility' club meeting in front of the tour eiffel, doing an extract batch with my electric kettle hooked up to a car battery.

My wife is going to check with the Mayor's office to make sure we don't need any special permits for having a CO2 canister. I hope to do it sometime this summer.
What a great idea!
Mark Gres

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:17:51 am »

That's really cool!  What is the CO2 for?  Are you going to be serving beer too?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:46:06 am »

That's really cool!  What is the CO2 for?  Are you going to be serving beer too?

Maybe. That depends on regs around dispensing. I think if I'm giving it away for free to 'friends' it should be fine. France is pretty damn lax about booze to being with, I think as long as I'm not serving it'll be ok.

The real reason for CO2 is that I now ferment in cornys, and so I need to purge the keg before I rack into the fermenter.
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:49:54 am »
The real reason for CO2 is that I now ferment in cornys, and so I need to purge the keg before I rack into the fermenter.
Couldn't you purge it before you go?

I'm jealous you can have this kind of event, I can't imagine they'd let us brew near the Space Needle.  Although maybe I should look in to that . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:46 am »

Phil--can you explain why?

This seems unnecessary (but not "harmful") to me.  Oxygen/aeration is OK when transferring the chilled wort into the primary fermenter.  The Corny keg you use for fermentation needs to be sanitized, but does not, IMO, need to be purged with CO2.  Aeration with air or O2 is actually good for yeast growth at this stage.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 10:59:09 am »
Ah, actually, yeah, you're absolutely right, don't need it. But if I'm dispensing....

How cool would it be to tap a corny with the Eiffel tower in the background? I'm getting psyched about this... best not to get too excited, who knows if it's actually legal. I'd send pics to the AHA for sure though ;-)
----

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 11:27:01 am »
Definitely send us pics!
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado