Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rye Pale Ale clarity  (Read 7080 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Rye Pale Ale clarity
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:41:18 pm »
Are Rye Pale Ales supposed to be clear, or cloudy like a Wheat Ale?

I just want to check myself. I am using 40% rye malt (http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5913.0 recipe) if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Rye Pale Ale clarity
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:49:22 pm »
They can be cloudy like a wheat beer but will clarify over time. Although I've never used 40% rye before, but my bet is that it will be fairly cloudy.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:10:12 pm »
I did one that was almost 50% rye and it definitely had a cloudiness to it.
Joe

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:21:38 pm »
Mine is definitely cloudy. My last batch didn't last long enough to see if it would clear, and I have a suspicion that this batch won't last any too long either.

Thanks for the input!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:04:41 pm »
Rye is loaded with protein which will haze a beer - let alone that you're using 40%.  That's awesome.  I've only gone as high as 30% Rye in a beer.

My standard Rye IPA is about 25% and can take 3+ weeks to clear in the keg but that's a long to ask that beer to stay around :)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:35:22 am »
My 20% Rye IPA clears well in the keg, but it also has a lot to do with the yeast.  Thames Valley took forever to clear, but I've got a Belgian version using 1388 that has nice clarity.  If you were making a true Roggenbier, I'd think it would be very hazy.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:18:23 am »
My 20% Rye IPA clears well in the keg, but it also has a lot to do with the yeast.  Thames Valley took forever to clear, but I've got a Belgian version using 1388 that has nice clarity.  If you were making a true Roggenbier, I'd think it would be very hazy.
Interesting.  I've brewed 20% rye IPAs with Thames Valley before and didn't have an issue with clarity.  Sure, it might not have been crystal clear, but they were clear.  Just takes a couple weeks.  But 40% rye in a beer, I wouldn't expect that to get too clear. 
Jesse

Offline rakes

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 02:21:35 pm »
hmmm - I've a Rye Ale in 2ndary now - only about 10% Rye malt - Its been 2 weeks now (and after two weeks in primary), and no signs of clearing - (I usually get some clearing at this point...).  I did forget the Irish Moss in this batch....

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 02:30:55 pm »
hmmm - I've a Rye Ale in 2ndary now - only about 10% Rye malt - Its been 2 weeks now (and after two weeks in primary), and no signs of clearing - (I usually get some clearing at this point...).  I did forget the Irish Moss in this batch....

10% really shouldn't have much effect on clarity.  What else is in your grain bill?
Joe

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 02:38:58 pm »
I usually use around 20% Rye Malt and have used up to 30% and it has always been clear out of the keg.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 02:57:01 pm »
I have Denny's Rye IPA on tap right now.  It's not the clearest beer I've ever served but not the cloudiest either.  I don't think I should expect it to clear like my lighter ales.  The rye adds enough protean to cause a little haze.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:22 pm »
The forecast looks cloudy with a 100% chance of hops.  ;D I've used rye at pretty low percentage and noticed cloudiness.  The beer didn't last long enough to clear.  You can always do a beta-glucan and a higher protein rest if you're aiming for clarity or maybe gelatin.
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 03:35:20 pm »
I have Denny's Rye IPA on tap right now.  It's not the clearest beer I've ever served but not the cloudiest either.  I don't think I should expect it to clear like my lighter ales.  The rye adds enough protean to cause a little haze.

Paul

After a month or so at cold temps, mine ends up crystal clear.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 03:40:18 pm »

Paul

After a month or so at cold temps, mine ends up crystal clear.

I'll take your word for it.  It has never lasted that long on tap in my house.   8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 03:44:28 pm »
Rye malt has proven itself in my brewery to produce as cloudy of wort as unmalted wheat. I just expect every rye ale to be cloudy unless aggressively fined and given some serious cold time.