General Category > All Grain Brewing

Partigyle - split the mash or all first for the main, all second for the small?

(1/6) > >>

blatz:
On Monday, I'm brewing my partigyle ABW/ESB.  What I'd planned on doing was using all first runnings for the BW, and using the sparge (plus an extra 2lbs of MO and 1/2lb of crystal 60) for the ESB.

Was discussing this with a brewclub friend, and he mentioned partitioning the main mash, rather than doing all first/all second.

So assuming an 8.0gal boil volume for each, perhaps take 2.5gal from the first runnings for the small beer, and 5.5gal of the first runnings for the ABW, then vice versa with the sparge/second runnings. 

I've had a first runnings only ABW before and it is insane, but I also want to avoid having a 'thin' 'lifeless' small beer.

Any opinions/thoughts?

ndcube:
If you know that ALL first runnings makes an insane BW then I would probably stick with that if it were me and experiment a little with the smaller beer.  Maybe do as you said or collect more runnings and boil down a little.? (Not gonna bring up caramelization).

beerocd:
The EXTRA grain, would you have that sitting in a separate pot to save time and combine just prior to second sparge - or how exactly does that work?

blatz:

--- Quote from: beerocd on December 09, 2009, 09:07:21 AM ---The EXTRA grain, would you have that sitting in a separate pot to save time and combine just prior to second sparge - or how exactly does that work?

--- End quote ---

if I do it that way, the "extra" grain will be thrown into the mash after the first runnings are run out.  then add the sparge water, and hold for 45min or so, then run out into the second kettle for the small beer.

tom:
Have you done a parti-gyle before? I love them for big beers. I just use the first runnings for the big beer and the second runnings for the other. My main interest is in the big beer, so the 2nd beer is just gravy.

If you haven't done a parti-gyle before I would simplify it as much as possible.

If you batch sparge, start checking the gravity of the first runnings and second runnings vs the mash ratio for future use in parti-gyles. Thicker mashes will give you higher o.g., but lower efficiency. For example, mashing at 1.25 qt will get you first runnings wort gravity in the 1.090's, but you will only get 0.75 qt/lb because the grain absorbs ~ 0.5 qt/lb. There was a good chart in one of this summer's zymurgies which had the gravity of the first runnings vs mash ratio (and % efficiency). You can plug them into a homebrew computer program to get your total amount of grain necessary.

For the second batch I just sparge with the same volume as the first runnings and I usually get about half the gravity of the first. If you have a 2nd boil kettle you can have your 2nd beer boiling within 15 minutes of the big beer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version