Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: beer gas  (Read 11222 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
Re: beer gas
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 09:31:07 pm »
At the bottom of page 240 of "How to Brew", in his discussion on the two unfermentables in beer that contribute to body, namely unfermentable sugars and proteins, Palmer mentions that dextrins (carbohydrates that are long chain sugars) are suspected by some brewers to be the leading cause of beer farts.

It makes sense to me that mashing lower to create a more fermentable wort could solve the problem, or is worth trying, so that the beer's sugars are broken down in your stomach rather than in your intestines. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 09:34:43 pm »
At the bottom of page 240 of "How to Brew", in his discussion on the two unfermentables in beer that contribute to body, namely unfermentable sugars and proteins, Palmer mentions that dextrins (carbohydrates that are long chain sugars) are suspected by some brewers to be the leading cause of beer farts.
It makes sense to me that mashing lower to create a more fermentable wort could solve the problem, or is worth trying, so that the beer's sugars are broken down in your stomach rather than in your intestines. 

This is what I understand to be the leading cause of beer gas.

We should have a contest.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 05:02:14 am »

This is what I understand to be the leading cause of beer gas.

We should have a contest.  ;D

You just made me imagine a conference room full of people testing that theory at the NHC in San Diego.
Not a pleasant thought.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 07:25:03 am »
You just made me imagine a conference room full of people testing that theory at the NHC in San Diego.
Not a pleasant thought.

Maybe... then again, it might be entertaining enough to make the trip worthwhile
Joe

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 07:46:23 am »

Easy to imagine. I call it "club night."
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 09:49:05 am »
Can the starches in beans be converted......?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 09:54:13 am »

Are you suggesting that the OP put Beano in his wort?  :o

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 10:35:06 am »

Thank god we'll have a 41k sq. ft room to have club night in this year - that should be enough for elbow and gas room!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 11:31:58 am »

Thank god we'll have a 41k sq. ft room to have club night in this year - that should be enough for elbow and gas room!

Hey Drew...do they have a fume hood installed in the banquet room. Hoping so.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 02:21:42 pm »

It has been done. People use Beano to make 'light' beer. I have used it to try to dry out an extract RIS that was nasty sweet and ended up with bottle bombs (Well one bottle bomb).

Oscar, Yes the starches in beans can be converted. either via beano if you are going to eat them. or, if one was so inclined, via diastatic malt in a mash. (you would have to cook them first). Bean beer. mmmm.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 03:36:53 pm »
I actually am aware that people use Beano (I don't recommend it), and I can definitely relate to what happened to you.  One batch some years ago when I was pretty new to all-grain brewing, I was using a small-face dial thermometer and must have misplaced my reading glasses -- I mis-read the thermometer, and mashed way too hot.  With all the partially converted sugars in that wort, of course it just wouldn't ferment very low at all, so I added amylase enzyme powder straight from the jar.  I bottled when it got to around 1.002, but it still continued to drop in the bottle and I ended up with gusher-infected jet fuel and dumped 100 bottles, luckily before any exploded.  Experiences like that teach you to master the details!

It has been done. People use Beano to make 'light' beer. I have used it to try to dry out an extract RIS that was nasty sweet and ended up with bottle bombs (Well one bottle bomb).

Oscar, Yes the starches in beans can be converted. either via beano if you are going to eat them. or, if one was so inclined, via diastatic malt in a mash. (you would have to cook them first). Bean beer. mmmm.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 11:20:46 pm »
aside from the one bottle that popped that RIS turned out okay. It was a little overwhelming but...
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce