Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Skimming foam from the boil  (Read 13554 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Skimming foam from the boil
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 07:42:28 am »
If you're prone to getting easily distracted by shiny objects, then skimming gives you something to do.

LOOK! a chicken!

Nah, its not a chicken or even the kids that provide the distraction.  Its usually "Now where did I put those damn hops I weighed out 10 minutes ago ???"  

I have to say that when my wort is about to come to a boil...I'm right there and watching it closely.

If you've ever had a boilover you'll understand why.  >:(

Once bitten...twice shy.   ;)
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 07:55:39 am »
I'm with Jeff on this one.  Because I can skim that material easily, I do it for all my brews that aren't First Wort Hopped.  There is ample evidence in my opinion that the scum on the boil has flavor negative impacts, so it seems that it is worth doing when I'm not going to lose some of my FWHs. 

Ample evidence?  Could you cite some of that?

For the record I will often skim just for something to do.  I don't think its much different than the rest of the protein, and when I don't skim I find that the floating denatured protein winds up on the side of my kettle as the level drops.  So I don't think I'm affecting my beer by doing this, just making it a little easier to clean the kettle later.

I do also sometimes see a little hop color (and presumably oils) sticking to the scum when I first add my bittering addition.  SIn this respect maybe it has some very minor affect on tthe bitterness.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 09:28:20 am »
If you're prone to getting easily distracted by shiny objects, then skimming gives you something to do.

LOOK! a chicken!

Nah, its not a chicken or even the kids that provide the distraction.  Its usually "Now where did I put those damn hops I weighed out 10 minutes ago ???
Actually the biggest distraction for me is this forum.  What starts out to be a couple minutes sometimes turns into 20, then why did the flame go out, and what's that propane smell, or dang boil-over...
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:38:19 am »
I just let it boil over and have the wife clean it up ;D
Da man!!!
I just let it boil over and have the wife clean it up ;D actually i pour my wort through a strainer enroute to the fermenter and it is not a problem

You funny......

Haven't found a strainer, yet, that will catch the hot break.

I use a regular strainer with a piece of flour sacking over it.

please no one tell my wife ::)  i use a strainer that is extremely fine. does take a while to pour through and i actually have to rinse it once or twice while pouring through it.  i think she (Lord help me) got it from pampered chef
Don AHA member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 09:39:35 am »
I'm with Jeff on this one.  Because I can skim that material easily, I do it for all my brews that aren't First Wort Hopped.  There is ample evidence in my opinion that the scum on the boil has flavor negative impacts, so it seems that it is worth doing when I'm not going to lose some of my FWHs. 

Well, I haven't been able to ascertain any negative effects from the foam, so I leave it.  I used to skim, but when I started doing a lot of FWH beers I stopped the skimming.  When I was able to make a comparison due to stopping, I found that there really wasn't any difference that I could attribute to skimming.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 09:41:06 am »

I have to say that when my wort is about to come to a boil...I'm right there and watching it closely.

That's why they invented foam control, Ron!  I put some in once my kettle is full and then don't worry about it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 10:04:57 am »
Nah, its not a chicken or even the kids that provide the distraction.  Its usually "Now where did I put those damn hops I weighed out 10 minutes ago ???"  
They're on the scale. ;)

And for whatever it's worth, I don't skim and I use foam control.  Works for me.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 10:25:57 am »

Ample evidence?  Could you cite some of that?

For the record I will often skim just for something to do.  I don't think its much different than the rest of the protein, and when I don't skim I find that the floating denatured protein winds up on the side of my kettle as the level drops.  So I don't think I'm affecting my beer by doing this, just making it a little easier to clean the kettle later.

I do also sometimes see a little hop color (and presumably oils) sticking to the scum when I first add my bittering addition.  SIn this respect maybe it has some very minor affect on tthe bitterness.

I skim for the exact same reasons you do Tom.  However, David Miller the author of Continental Pilsener explains that skimming is necessary to remove the harsh, astringent malt tannins before adding the first hops (56-58).
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 10:26:09 am »
Hi, my name is Kirk, and I decoction mash, so I don't get much of a hot break. :o
Kirk Howell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 10:30:10 am »

That's why they invented foam control, Ron!  I put some in once my kettle is full and then don't worry about it.

Yes perhaps you're right but I like watching for a really nice hot break. That would just take some of the fun out of it for me.  :)
Ron Price

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 10:31:44 am »

LOOK! a chicken!

Nah, its not a chicken or even the kids that provide the distraction.  Its usually "Now where did I put those damn hops I weighed out 10 minutes ago ???
Actually the biggest distraction for me is this forum.  What starts out to be a couple minutes sometimes turns into 20, then why did the flame go out, and what's that propane smell, or dang boil-over...
Whew, I'm not the only one. Except for me it seems to always be, "crap, I missed my hop addition." Luckily it's never been more than a couple minutes.
Mark Gres

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 10:55:48 am »
However, David Miller the author of Continental Pilsener explains that skimming is necessary to remove the harsh, astringent malt tannins before adding the first hops (56-58).

He also claims to get like 127% efficiency in his beers.  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 11:00:07 am »

maybe he considers the adjuncts to be bonus points. ::)
Don AHA member

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 11:10:11 am »

maybe he considers the adjuncts to be bonus points. ::)

You mean they're not?  :-\
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 11:55:28 am »
However, David Miller the author of Continental Pilsener explains that skimming is necessary to remove the harsh, astringent malt tannins before adding the first hops (56-58).

David Miller's logic seems rational enough.  Let's look at Budweiser for a moment.  Budweiser's fermentation vessels, are rigged with a level at the top that catches all the fermentation scum, that is up and kicked-out during primary fermentation. The brew master at So. Cal Budweiser say's, the purpose of the top level inside their fermentation vessels is to catch all the harsh, astringent material that would other wise affect the flavor of the finished beer.  This may suggest, that skimming the foam in the kettle along with the coagulated hot-break would lessen the harsh flavor contributions.   

If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.