Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hop freshness  (Read 2134 times)

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
hop freshness
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:57:23 am »
I've seen hops offered for sale on ebay for reasonable prices but......they say "from the 2008 crop" or "2009 crop"  ........Even if it is vacuum packed, how good or bad can they be.??

How long do hops stay fresh in a vacuum packed freezer bag??

Does anyone have good sources for pelleted hops/??
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: hop freshness
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:25 am »
My go to source for pellets is Hopsdirect... www.hopsdirect.com
Joe

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:33:31 am »
Vacuum packed in the freezer, I will use hops 3 years old if they smell good - not cheesy.
After 3 years it is time to make space for fresher hops, so they get thrown out.

I wouldn't buy old hops from some random e-bay source.  I use hopsdirect.com for most of my purchases and am a very satisfied customer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:37:23 am »
They can still be OK, but when you buy from ebay you just never know.  As mentioned, Hopsdirect is a great source for pellets.  I've also gotten really good German hop pellets from Northern Brewer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:01:47 am »
They can still be OK, but when you buy from ebay you just never know.  As mentioned, Hopsdirect is a great source for pellets.  I've also gotten really good German hop pellets from Northern Brewer.

I've noticed that the all the Simcoe pellet hops that I buy from morebeer fall apart.  The hops still smell good, but the pellets crumble and don't keep their pellet form.  Is this a sign of bad hops.  It doesn't happen with any other hop variety just Simcoe.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:03:48 am »

I've noticed that the all the Simcoe pellet hops that I buy from morebeer fall apart.  The hops still smell good, but the pellets crumble and don't keep their pellet form.  Is this a sign of bad hops.  It doesn't happen with any other hop variety just Simcoe.

If they still smell and taste good, they are good even if they crumble.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:35:16 am »
I think that looser hop pellets may be an indication of gentler handling during processing.  As we all know, heat is a big enemy of hop freshness.  The process of pelletizing involves the application of a lot of pressure to the hops.  With pressure comes heat.  I understand that a good hop pelletizing operation will use liquid nitrogen to cool the pelletizing die to help avoid overheating the hop pellets.  The other way to help avoid overheating would be to back off a bit on the pressure. 

Maybe that is what is exhibited by hop pellets that still have great aroma, but fall apart more easily. 

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks