Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Poppit no pop, o-ring no seal?  (Read 6253 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Poppit no pop, o-ring no seal?
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:19:33 am »
I recently got another used corny keg, but while I was stripping it down to clean it, I noticed that for both the gas and beer ball lock assemblies, the poppits are wayyy stuck in there.

The little feet there seem to be hung up or something on what seems to be a bit of a lip on the solid steel piece (I don't have pics yet...)

Has anybody ever seen this before? I asked Brouwland to send a replacement, and they sent me a couple assemblies with the same "defect." So maybe it's just something I don't know how to do? All the kegs I've ever owned, the poppit came out super easy.

Also, with this same keg, the rubber o-rings that normally go on to the dip and CO2 tubes weren't the black rubber pieces I was used to. Rather, they were some kinda weird blue stuff that was REALLY old and cracking in places. Of course both of the leaked, so I wrapped 'em up with plumbers tape and it seems to be holding. Is plumber's tape bad? I dunno where to get new o-rings.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Poppit no pop, o-ring no seal?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:25:02 am »
I assume you mean the poppets are stuck in the posts?  Pretty common.  Remove the post from the keg and put it on the counter or some other flat surface.  Using a nail, or some other object like that, simply press on the poppet from the top and it should come right out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:30:01 am »
I assume you mean the poppets are stuck in the posts?  Pretty common.  Remove the post from the keg and put it on the counter or some other flat surface.  Using a nail, or some other object like that, simply press on the poppet from the top and it should come right out.

I tried that, but all it did was depress the spring. I didn't want to force it too much, but if you think I should use more power I will try that when I get home.
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:34:09 am »
You have to apply enough force to pop it out. It may seem to be excessive but it is the only way to remove them. A 1/8" dowel pin and a hammer are the ideal tools used to remove poppits. You should only have to tap it very lightly with the hammer and it will pop out.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:37:03 am »

I tried that, but all it did was depress the spring. I didn't want to force it too much, but if you think I should use more power I will try that when I get home.

I was scared the first time I tried it, too! 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:51:10 am »
Don't know about shipping cost to France but here's some info(prices approx 2 yrs old):

McMaster Carr part numbers for the o-rings that fit the ball-lock kegs:

Dip Tube O-Rings
5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width
9452K172 BunaN #109
Pkg 100/$1.89 (yes, these are the same ones the shops sell for fifty cents EACH.)

Post O-Rings
7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width
9452K23 BunaN #111
Pkg 100/$2.15

Lid O-Rings
3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width
9452K218 BunaN #417
Pkg 10/$12.50

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:21:34 am »
Current prices are within pennies. I ordered a batch yesterday.

These prices/part #s are for the regular round o-rings.   You can also get them with a square profile (most expensive) and x-type profile (mid-price). 

On the kegs I'm stripping down right now, the dip-tube o-rings appear to have been of the square profile (edges, not the shape of the ring).  I don't think the profile matters significantly, but others may disagree.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:35:41 am »
Current prices are within pennies. I ordered a batch yesterday.

These prices/part #s are for the regular round o-rings.   You can also get them with a square profile (most expensive) and x-type profile (mid-price). 

On the kegs I'm stripping down right now, the dip-tube o-rings appear to have been of the square profile (edges, not the shape of the ring).  I don't think the profile matters significantly, but others may disagree.

For the dip tube o-rings the quad/double seal profile is vastly superior to the others, in my experience.

I use round profile silicone for the others. I haven't used keg lube once since I switched to these o-rings.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:03:41 pm »
It's still under $5 for the quad profile, so we're not talking about big money here.

You can select the profile at McMaster Carr under O-rings.  The sizing from the previous posting remains what you want, and the o-ring numbers also remain the same (109 for dip tubes).

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 12:09:33 pm »

I was scared the first time I tried it, too! 

Hrm - here's what I get when I hit it with a hammer:

It's out, right? Well...

Two legs are bent way outta shape and the other one is scrunched up. Totally borked, good thing I already told them they were broken (and they already sent me another set).

So now what? This should give you an idea of just how stuck in there they are. I've never seen this before.
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:41 pm »
It should also be noted that, on closer inspection, these poppits are unlike anything I've seen before.
----

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:13:01 pm »
It should also be noted that, on closer inspection, these poppits are unlike anything I've seen before.

Interesting...as far as I can tell, they look like the poppets in several of my kegs.  You can straighten out the legs with needle nose pliers...at least I've been able to do that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 12:14:56 pm »

Interesting...as far as I can tell, they look like the poppets in several of my kegs.  You can straighten out the legs with needle nose pliers...at least I've been able to do that.

Ya, but I've tried and they just aren't coming out. Could they somehow be welded in there?
----

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 12:15:35 pm »
Ya, but I've tried and they just aren't coming out. Could they somehow be welded in there?

Well, I can't say they're not, but I've never seen that be the case.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 12:16:19 pm »
Can you grab it from the inside with a needle nose pliers?

It looks like you're gonna need a new poppet anyway, so I'd bend the legs on it to get it out.

Perhaps the PO forced in the wrong style of poppet for the keg?

Or perhaps it's the wrong post for the keg, since it looks like the poppet was pushed too far in.