Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Soon we can pack concealed  (Read 10880 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Soon we can pack concealed
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 09:32:10 am »
I just realized, what is this thread missing?  BFI!   ;D  Break out the tacos and shurikens, boys!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 09:33:26 am »
I just realized, what is this thread missing?  BFI!   ;D  Break out the tacos and shurikens, boys!

BFI? http://www.bfi.org.uk/?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2011, 09:59:50 am »
Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself

--The great Lynyrd Skynrd

Been catching a few episodes of "Sons of Guns." When a couple comes into the gun shop for a handgun to use for home protection, the owner takes them on the range and shows them how most handgun confrontations occur: at very close range.  He then asks the question, "Are you prepared to take a life?"  The couple rethinks their purchase and leaves empty handed.  Point is, a handgun is a specific tool for a specific purpose, and owning/carrying one is a "yes" to the above question. LEOs and military are trained to shoot to kill for this reason.

Personally, I am on the fence with this.  Live in a rougher than most neighborhood with plenty of crime and occasionally ponder a Sig in the nightstand.  I just can't say yes to the question, so I stay on the fence.

Well, I train Ving Tsun Kung Fu and that's a specific tool for self defense and it's DEADLY.  One has to know how to use their self defense tools.  I don't like that one can just easily kill someone from a distance with a gun, it's cowardly, it's stupid.  Knowing how to use your gun should be mandatory and there should be no way around it.  It makes me sad that I train so hard with my kung fu that someone can just pull out a gun and shoot me.  Fight me with your hands, like a man...
Jesse

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:41 am »
I don't like that one can just easily kill someone from a distance with a gun, it's cowardly, it's stupid.  Knowing how to use your gun should be mandatory and there should be no way around it.  It makes me sad that I train so hard with my kung fu that someone can just pull out a gun and shoot me.  Fight me with your hands, like a man...

You're this guy!   ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-afKCOZZc

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2011, 10:50:53 am »
I think proper gun control, use, and marksmanship should be a high school gym class.  (taught by retired marine gunny's)
Don AHA member

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2011, 11:09:20 am »
I don't like that one can just easily kill someone from a distance with a gun, it's cowardly, it's stupid.  Knowing how to use your gun should be mandatory and there should be no way around it.  It makes me sad that I train so hard with my kung fu that someone can just pull out a gun and shoot me.  Fight me with your hands, like a man...

You're this guy!   ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-afKCOZZc

Haha, I know, that's what I was thinking about as I was typing my post.  Not fair!
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2011, 11:40:15 am »
I think proper gun control, use, and marksmanship should be a high school gym class.  (taught by retired marine gunny's)

Except most high schools don't have gym class any more....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2011, 12:18:52 pm »

Another thought on this, bit of a rabbit trail, so forgive me.  I wonder if the great generals of the mid 20th century resented the invention of nuclear weapons in a unique way.  These generals had spent their lives refining tactics and strategy to a point of finesse, and their success on the battlefield was in large part attributed (rightly or wrongly) to their brilliance (think Rommel, Patton, Montgomery...).  Then comes the age of nuclear warfare, which makes the art of conventional warfare a side issue, the minor leagues, something for the major powers to fritter time away with in various hot spots, a diversion to the major event.  Funny thought.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2011, 12:21:16 pm »

oh yeah, i forgot.  they can't even play dodge ball anymore.... :'(
Don AHA member

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 01:09:34 pm »
Speaking as someone who may or may not have observed every single little law on concealed carry in my younger days, I tend to agree with requiring permits and training requirements. To pretend there aren't young, stupid, testosterone-fueled idiots out there who would be ticking time bombs with no training or vetting is idiotic.

I'm a staunch 2nd amendment supporter, a civil disobedience advocate, and a Libertarian to boot, but something about this idea just doesn't sit right with me.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 02:01:06 pm »

Maybe at the next AHA rally, he will teach a self defense class, where he can show us that move where you slap you opponent in the kidneys, making them wet themselves, leaving them to embarassed to mug you. None of us would CCW then.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

narvin

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 02:21:17 pm »

Maybe at the next AHA rally, he will teach a self defense class, where he can show us that move where you slap you opponent in the kidneys, making them wet themselves, leaving them to embarassed to mug you. None of us would CCW then.  ;D

http://www.hulu.com/watch/8721/napoleon-dynamite-rex-kwon-do-volunteer

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 02:50:56 pm »

oh yeah, i forgot.  they can't even play dodge ball anymore.... :'(

Another topic I should just stay quiet on.  My son wishes gym was still required because some days you really need a class where "if you haven't cracked a rib by senior year, you ain't doing it right".

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?