Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 3789-PC Trappist Blend  (Read 5196 times)

Offline atvnfamily

• 1st Kit
Wyeast 3789-PC Trappist Blend
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:01:12 pm »
Wyeast 3789-PC Trappist Blend.  Im working with this yeast also. What is Brett? It was listed in the instructions. Must be in the yeast?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Wyeast 3789-PC Trappist Blend
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:14:24 pm »
Correct.

This is a very nice blend of Belgian Saccharomyces and Brettanomyces for emulating Trappist style beer from the Florenville region in Belgium. Phenolics, mild fruitiness and complex spicy notes develop with increased fermentation temperatures. Subdued but classic Brett character.

Ron Price

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:45:41 am »
Just FYI if you didn't know. A lot of brewers that use Brettanomyces don't use any plastic equipment that touches the Brett with other beers, just to help prevent cross contamination.  Sometimes Brett can hide from sanitizer in small cracks in tubing or plastic.  I've never had any problems with Brett, but I have dedicated some old tubing and plastic to Brett/wild beers only.

Offline trevorjn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:44:10 pm »
Brett is a type of yeast.  It is considered an infection by some,  but others love it.  It lends some tart flavors to beer as well as funky,  barnyard and horse-blanket flavors.  Don't be surprised when this beer tastes very different than other beers you have made.  Also,  be carefull if you bottle,  brett is super-attenuative meaning it can take your FG down to almost 1.000.  It takes brett awhile to do this so if you bottle after a month or so and your gravity seems "normal" (FG 1.010 or something) don't be surprised if in 6 months the carbonation is VERY high....  or you have some bottle bombs. Do a little Brettanomyces research so you know what you are dealing with.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:33:36 pm »
Interesting. I was researching this very yeast/Brett pack this weekend. In the end I decided to go with 3787, and then add some Brett separately in secondary, which will be in the keg. For the following reasons.

1: 3789 is limited edition. If I develop a recipe I like and then can't get the ingredients I will need to start over.

2: Brett is "the beast". It is one punker of a bug and it can, and has, taken over breweries. Most brewers that try to keep it contained use separate buckets, siphons etc etc and label then "B". By pitching it separate in the keg I will only have one item to quarantine, and a steel one at that. Easier to keep sanitized. Plus, I'll probably have some Brett beer in the mill all the time anyway. LOVE the flavor.

3: Unless you are willing to buy a lot of smack packs, if you make any kind of good sized beer you will need to do a starter. I wasn't sure how the cocktail would react to that. Also, more contamination potential. And finally, I like repitching yeast cakes, and if I keep the cake pure ale yeast I, again, don't have to worry about the Brett.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 03:42:19 pm »
2: Brett is "the beast". It is one punker of a bug and it can, and has, taken over breweries. Most brewers that try to keep it contained use separate buckets, siphons etc etc and label then "B".
The danger from brett is often wildly overstated.  It is easily destroyed by normal sanitation procedures, and is totally safe to use in your brewery in any glass or stainless vessel.  It is prudent to have dedicated plastic items like hoses and racking canes, but is probably not necessary in all cases.  I reuse my carboys and stainless racking cane with all of my wild and non-wild beers without any problems from cross-contamination.  Pbw and starsan get the job done.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:56:36 pm »
2: Brett is "the beast". It is one punker of a bug and it can, and has, taken over breweries. Most brewers that try to keep it contained use separate buckets, siphons etc etc and label then "B".
The danger from brett is often wildly overstated.  It is easily destroyed by normal sanitation procedures, and is totally safe to use in your brewery in any glass or stainless vessel.  It is prudent to have dedicated plastic items like hoses and racking canes, but is probably not necessary in all cases.  I reuse my carboys and stainless racking cane with all of my wild and non-wild beers without any problems from cross-contamination.  Pbw and starsan get the job done.

Aw, c'mon..... we need a little DANGER in the brewing sport..... But you're right. Hence my decision to contain it in a SS keg.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:01:49 pm »
Aw, c'mon..... we need a little DANGER in the brewing sport..... But you're right. Hence my decision to contain it in a SS keg.
;D

Compressed gases, open flames, concentrated acids, pots of hot to boiling liquids, large glass vessels . . . plenty of danger. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:16:30 pm »
Yes, that keggle with 10 gallons of 160ยบ water a foot above my head has my utmost respect.......

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:30:06 pm »

+1

Also, I think Brett was the cop in the village people. Make sure you don't get that infection.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 07:55:20 pm »

+1

Also, I think Brett was the cop in the village people. Make sure you don't get that infection.

Yup.... no amount of StarSan is going to take care of that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:26:48 pm by oscarvan »

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:21:56 am »
<  Florenville region in Belgium > Hmm wonder who that could be ::)

1: 3789 is limited edition. If I develop a recipe I like and then can't get the ingredients I will need to start over.

or you could use WLP510 Bastogne  and add a fresh bottle of Orval for the brett source.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5148.msg60761#msg60761
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:24:10 am by uthristy »