Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kettle again...  (Read 3102 times)

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
Kettle again...
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:34:08 am »
Ok im pretty sure im going to buy a Bayou Classic Stockpot 60qt They seem to be a good quality and the prices are not bad. $110 and up depending on where you buy.

that will enable me to do 10g batches later on. My question Stainless or Aluminum? Aluminum seems to be cheaper no matter what brand and it does conduct heat better than steel. Ive noticed though that alot of brewers prefer stainless. Is this because it last longer than aluminum?

My plan is to go to my brew shop and get the drill bit to install weldless spigot and therm. DIY

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Kettle again...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:39:30 am »
Breweries use caustics in Clean In Place systems.  SS holds up to caustics, Aluminum does not.

You may have lesser hot spots with AL vs SS.  Other than that the conductivity does not do much for you, as the big resistances are on the gas to metal and metal to liquid parts of the heat transfer (assuming you use fire for heating).

Aluminum is easier to drill.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:47 am »
Breweries use caustics in Clean In Place systems.  SS holds up to caustics, Aluminum does not.

You may have lesser hot spots with AL vs SS.  Other than that the conductivity does not do much for you, as the big resistances are on the gas to metal and metal to liquid parts of the heat transfer (assuming you use fire for heating).

Aluminum is easier to drill.

Thanks for the great info, one of those things where it seems like its a matter of preference.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:48 am »
Yep, it does pretty much come down to preference.  And like Jeff implies, the biggest difference is in the cleaning.  With stainless, you can scrub all you want with something like Barkeepers Friend and keep your kettle looking all shiny and new.  With aluminum, you need to "season" it first to build up an oxide layer and then don't get too carried away with scrubbing so as not to remove that oxide layer.  The oxide layer may not look as pretty as the stainless, but they both will function well for you.
Joe

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:14:33 am »
Yep, it does pretty much come down to preference.  And like Jeff implies, the biggest difference is in the cleaning.  With stainless, you can scrub all you want with something like Barkeepers Friend and keep your kettle looking all shiny and new.  With aluminum, you need to "season" it first to build up an oxide layer and then don't get too carried away with scrubbing so as not to remove that oxide layer.  The oxide layer may not look as pretty as the stainless, but they both will function well for you.

The oxide layer is very important to maintain if you don't like that classic "aluminum" taste.  Once it is sealed you won't get the flavor anymore.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:21:11 am »
ive decided to go with stainless.

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:30:11 am »

I use stainless also and I think you'll be happy.  Two things I always look for in a stainless kettle are relatively thick material and the 3-ply "sandwich" bottom, neither of which I think the Bayou Classic gives you.  You might want to look at...

http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-60.upi-sps60.0.7.htm

...which, at $136, isn't much more than the Bayou but it's definitely a lot more robust pot.
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 11:45:14 am »

I think you'll be happy with SS. I use all SS equipment and find that it's extra money well spent. It will last a lifetime.
Ron Price

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:08:07 pm »

I use stainless also and I think you'll be happy.  Two things I always look for in a stainless kettle are relatively thick material and the 3-ply "sandwich" bottom, neither of which I think the Bayou Classic gives you.  You might want to look at...

http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-60.upi-sps60.0.7.htm

...which, at $136, isn't much more than the Bayou but it's definitely a lot more robust pot.

yea, it looks like a nice pot. Has the three layed bottom which ive heard is excellent to have.