Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP002 at 60deg or lower  (Read 3197 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
WLP002 at 60deg or lower
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:08:52 am »
So I brewed up an English Brown using WLP002 this weekend, put the bucket on a small bench in the garage where its usually a steady 62-65deg and then the weather went south pushing the temps under 60deg since saturday, especially overnight. I wrecked my back and there is no way I can carry the bucket up 2 flights of stairs to where its basically 68-70 constant temp. Should I be worried at all, there is still no movement after a full 48 hrs.

I know, I know RDWHAHB but i'm still stressing over it and check the airlock every hour or so...

Have any of you used 002 at 60 or below?

Tony
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: WLP002 at 60deg or lower
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:10:10 pm »
I haven't had luck with it below 65F.  In fact, I've had it stop what it was doing and just drop out when it got that cold.  1.026?  Whatever, later.  Hey, how come my porter is so sweet?  Clear, though.

Get a brew belt or blanket or space heater or something to warm it up.  Rouse it back into action.

That was with WY1968, but it's the same stuff.  Fuller's yeast.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 02:18:55 pm »
My experience is different than Gordon's

I recently brewed an ESB using WLP002 in my cellar at 60F. I prepared a 2.5L starter and cold crashed, decanted and pitched at 59F. I normally aim for 62F but my therminator was on steroids that day.  ;D The OG was 1.060 and it finished right around 1.014. It fermented down in about 10-12 days. I then cold crashed and kegged.

It turned out well...so I entered in in the NHC.
Ron Price

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:27:22 pm »
I think i'm going to give it another 24hrs, then if there's still no activity i'll try to get it somewhere a bit warmer.  Good idea about the brew belt, i'll have to grab one of those.

thanks for the info.

tony

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:28:39 pm »
My experience is different than Gordon's

I recently brewed an ESB using WLP002 in my cellar at 60F. I prepared a 2.5L starter and cold crashed, decanted and pitched at 59F. I normally aim for 62F but my therminator was on steroids that day.  ;D The OG was 1.060 and it finished right around 1.014. It fermented down in about 10-12 days. I then cold crashed and kegged.

It turned out well...so I entered in in the NHC.

I have some chugging away at 62 right now in an ESB that started off in a 2l starter (not cold crashed).
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:07:40 pm »
my patience wore thin and i moved the fermenter to another area that's approx 64-68 and within a few minutes the airlock started bubbling.

Tony

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:14:41 pm »
Nice.  Glad it worked.

The other reports make me want to check out the temperature sensitivity of this yeast again.  Like I said, I was using WY1968; maybe WLP002 is a bit different, or maybe my measurements weren't so accurate.  It's one of my favorite yeasts, so I'd like to know how it responds.  I've just been leery of getting it too cold since that unfortunate brown porter incident.  Hmm, I guess that was about 14 years ago now.  Guess I should get over it.  Damn, time flies.

I actually like that it will drop out when it gets cold.  It is hands down my favorite cask yeast because of that.  Who needs Isinglass?  Just chill the keg and it will be bright on its own.  I remember taking an ESB to the Real Ale Festival in 2002 or 2003.  My pin cask rolled around in the back of a van for 6 or 7 hours driving up there.  I dropped it off the night before (it was in the 50s where it was stored).  Next day, I showed up, hooked up my beer engine, pulled a half pint, tossed it, and the next pint was perfectly clear.  Now that's good floccing yeast.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 08:48:44 am »
heh nice gordon that's awesome, i check it last night before bed and again this morning and its really rockin now! airlock is getting a workout.

I was originally going to make a starter on sat and brew on sun but my schedule was rearranged and had to brew on sat or not brew at all so I had to forego the starter and decided to pitch 2 vials to sort of compensate, seems to be ok.

thx for the info guys,

cheers!
Tony

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 08:59:15 am »
I too have used Fuller's yeast down to 60-62°F and had good results. More maltier and less fruity at those temperatures.

I have found that rousing it once or twice a day (e.g., swirling the primary) really helps, because it is so flocculent.

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:12:26 am »
I have found that rousing it once or twice a day (e.g., swirling the primary) really helps, because it is so flocculent.

thx for the tip, i'll try that too.

Tony