Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The batch from hell!  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: The batch from hell!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 03:08:39 pm »
We've all learned this the hard way and if we tell everybody who's new, how much fun would that be?   ;D

I have some beers that know will need a blow off tube.  Others tell me they need one by pushing crud into the air lock.  The first sign off junk in the neck of the airlock and it gets a blow off tube.  I've cleaned up far too many walls.

I'm with the others, the beer will be great!!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 07:40:40 pm »
You see, this is why I am going with small chest freezers as fermentation chambers..... that is , IF I can stop murdering them......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 11:32:05 pm »
Oscar, since you're not actually using them as freezers I'm sure the compressor has enough power to chill more than one.  Something to consider - you can put collars on them, connect them together, and push cold air from one to another.  Or you can get rid of the broken one :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 11:54:18 pm »
You see, this is why I am going with small chest freezers as fermentation chambers..... that is , IF I can stop murdering them......

Why? Elaborate please.

Is it because of the mess? Is the Berber ok? :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 05:52:01 am »
Yes the Berber is fine.....however Sweetie expressed concern. So, IF something were to happen it wouldn't be an "accident".  ;D

Actually, it all has more to do with temperature control. In winter the office is 62-64 which is on the low end, but consistent. Spring, Summer and Fall the temperature range is much higher, and gets into the 80's in summer. No can do. The only other place would be the basement........more Berber. In the freezers in the garage I walk by them many times a day and can keep an eye on things.

Tom, thought about that. But I really want two separate units. The beauty there is that you put two buckets of the same batch in one. Let them do their thing, then change the setting and crash cool them before kegging. The other cooler would be somewhere else in the cycle.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 09:56:48 am »
Tom, thought about that. But I really want two separate units. The beauty there is that you put two buckets of the same batch in one. Let them do their thing, then change the setting and crash cool them before kegging. The other cooler would be somewhere else in the cycle.....
Yes, but you rig a temperature controller to the fan and only blow the air over when you need to cool the second chamber, so you can keep them at different temps.  It would require you always keep the first chamber cooler than the second, but it would work.  It might be more of a PITA to rig it up than to just get another one though. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rayallen

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Antonio, TX
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 10:53:59 am »
My 1st batch I pushed that little rubber seal through to with the airlock.

You should have seen me, sitting there for at least 15min with a sterilized spoon trying to get that damn thing out of the wort.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 10:56:33 am »
My 1st batch I pushed that little rubber seal through to with the airlock.

You should have seen me, sitting there for at least 15min with a sterilized spoon trying to get that damn thing out of the wort.

It won't hurt anything.  You're better off just to leave it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell