Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st lagers in 4 years....WLP 830 temps & words of wisdom?  (Read 14569 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
1st lagers in 4 years....WLP 830 temps & words of wisdom?
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:36:03 am »
I'm planning an O-fest and a Schwarzbier using WLP830.  I've only done a handful of lagers over the years and and In the past I've always pitched warm and put it in the fridge.  I've noticed from reading this forum that some of you guys start your lagers in the low 40's and let the temp rise.  Would you use that practice be the same for this strain?  White labs says optimum temp is 50-ish. Also if anyone has an lager tricks of the trade that they want to share It would be much appreciated.
-J.K.L.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 1st lagers in 4 years....WLP 830 temps & words of wisdom?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:43:47 am »
Every lager I've pitched cold has been better than any lager I pitched warm, no matter what the yeast.  It's my SOP now.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:44:11 am »
Here's my method for making lagers. You definitely need to pitch enough yeast and by picthing warm you will only increase diacetyl and ester formation. Pitch cold for the best tasting laer.

For lagers you definitely need a large yeast starter and you can't really ferment a lager warm and expect it to taste lagerish - it may very well be a good beer. But not a lager.

Pick up a gallon size juice jug. 2 vials in 3L/3quarts of a  1.040 OG starter wort would not be too much yeast for a 1.050 - 1.060 beer. You need at least a gallon starter with 1 vial. Pitch the yeast and ferment to completion. Cold crash in fridge for a a day or two to drop the yeast.

On brew day, cool your main volume of wort all the way down to about 44-48 degrees - even if it takes several hours (or over night) to cool. Then aerate well (about 2xs as long as you aerate for ales - with pure o2 I go about 3 minutes).  DECANT the spent starter beer from your starter and only pitch the slurry.

Try to keep fermentation temps around 48-50 degrees letting it warm up some near the end to assure complete attenuation. Give yourself at lest 2-3 (even 4-5) weeks fermentation time. Then transfer to secondary and lager at near freezing temps for 2-4+ weeks.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:44:49 am »
I agree with major's suggestion.

I have been using WLP830 quite a bit and like the performance and results that I get when I pitch at 44F and then slowly raise it to 50F for the fermentation. Once you've achieved approx 70% attenuation slowly raise the temp again for a Diacetyl rest at 60-65F for a about a week, then cold crash and keg.

I'm currently on a fifth generation yeast that I've been using the prescribed process on and it produces very clean  and malty lagers.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:46:28 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:59 am »
Thanks for the quick replies fellas!!!!!   I'm gonna drop it to 45 deg. and pitch then set my controller to 48 with a 4 deg fluctuation.  As for the Diacetyl rest, I guess I'll wait about week or so, check SG, and if she's close I'll gradually raise the temp to 65-70 deg.

Thanks again

-J.K.L. 

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:54:07 am »
just don't be in a rush.  things will be fine if you keep it cool
Don AHA member

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:08:57 pm »
I love WLP830; it's my go-to strain for German lagers.  I noticed that it produces a bit more sulfur than other strains.  I would recommend a higher than normal D-rest to let as much of this come out of solution with c02 as possible.  You may end up with a "wild onion" note in the beer, but it will disappear with adequate cold storage.
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine