Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another oopsie  (Read 7511 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: Another oopsie
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 03:06:10 pm »
I think if you've ever had a bad batch, you get more stringent about sanitation.  Over time, some of that strictness wears off.  But both sides are right.  It is unlikely that you might have an infection from a short exposure to a relatively clean surface...but unlikely  isn't good enough for most (at least brewers)...
unlikely to get her pregnant.
unlikely to catch anything eating food from a restroom floor.
unlikely to get caught.

Or, just do the right thing and know you can "Relax, Not Worry, and have a clean uninfected Homebrew".
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 03:13:00 pm »
That might infer some form of yeast intelligence we're not aware of. I believe they simply produce enzymes that start splitting whatever carbohydrate chains are available and make use of whatever is produced that good for them. This may be the same thing you just said in a different form.

This is science as Tubercle understands it, which is at the very basic level.

Yeast intelligence..... uh careful, tubercle my friend. there is a conspiracy that's clear once you see it. hiding in plain sight can be very effective. this is a conspiracy far more widespread than anything contemplated by the illuminati, the masons, the far right whack jobs, the far left loonies.... none of them come close. And it's been going on for untold generations..... yes, I speak of the yeast and their not-so-subtle farming of us 'intelligent' humans. think of it, by producing alcohol, they've trained us to provide them with all the necessaries of life. we feed them, take care of them, and their children, their children's children's children, and so it continues.

Don't talk about yeast intelligence, we don't want to upset the overlords. the yeast giveth, and the yeast taketh away.

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 03:21:25 pm »
That might infer some form of yeast intelligence we're not aware of. I believe they simply produce enzymes that start splitting whatever carbohydrate chains are available and make use of whatever is produced that good for them. This may be the same thing you just said in a different form.

Yeast intelligence..... uh careful, tubercle my friend. there is a conspiracy that's clear once you see it. hiding in plain sight can be very effective. this is a conspiracy far more widespread than anything contemplated by the illuminati, the masons, the far right whack jobs, the far left loonies.... none of them come close. And it's been going on for untold generations..... yes, I speak of the yeast and their not-so-subtle farming of us 'intelligent' humans. think of it, by producing alcohol, they've trained us to provide them with all the necessaries of life. we feed them, take care of them, and their children, their children's children's children, and so it continues.

Don't talk about yeast intelligence, we don't want to upset the overlords. the yeast giveth, and the yeast taketh away.

I HATE you!!!!!!!

I'm having enough trouble sleeping with this time change which is the gov'ts way of disrupting our circadian rhythm to prepare us for the NEW WORLD ORDER, and now this!!!!!

I am a slave to the yeast!!!

BTY...I am a Mason including several higher degrees. And no, we don't want to take over the world. We could have done that a long time ago if we wanted to. Who wants it? :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:50:52 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 03:24:38 pm »
creepy.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 04:01:40 pm »

I often find my self compelled to brew regularly, and even find myself brewing with no recollection of how I started. Usually I'll have this realization- as if awakening from a dream, with a empty yeast vial/pack in my hand...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 04:42:19 pm »
I always thought that this was to do with yeast mutating in an environment rather than infection.
It's a bit of both, but for the pros lager yeasts are recommended to be repitched fewer times than ale yeasts due to genetic drift.

And I thought THAT was because of the adjuncts they use which makes the yeasties lazy and just go after the easy sugars.....If you use the "real" grains they have no choice..... or so I was told.
I've heard this before and I think it's BS.  Yes, if you grow it exclusively with glucose then there is no selective pressure to maintain the maltase genes.  But neither is there selective pressure to get rid of those genes, so the individual cells don't lose them instantly and their is not massive and simultaneous loss of the ability to ferment maltose in the population.  They might stop making the enzymes, but that is not the same as losing the ability to make them.  Oh, and even your healthy population of DME grown yeast will go after the easy sugar first, the glucose.

I grow stuff on glucose all of the time.  I grow it in glucose before adding glycerol and freezing at -80C.  I pull it from there and streak it to a 2% glucose plate.  I pick a colony and grow it in 3 mls of 5-10% glucose YPD, then 12-15 mls of the same, then 50-100 mls of the same.  From there it goes into DME, and any cells that may have lost the ability to use maltose will not thrive.

I would make sure to use something with maltose as the last step before pitching the yeast so that the cells have plenty of enzymes for fermentation.  But even if you don't, once the cells detect the maltose in the solution they will get to work on making sure they can use it.  There may be a bit of lag while they build up the concentration of maltase enzymes, this might be the laziness that people mean.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 06:24:39 pm »
I finally got a chance to look in Yeast to see what White says about successive pitches and contamination.  He says that with each subsequent pitch the bacterial and wild yeast counts increase.  Typically a brewery counters this by pitching a higher cell count so the fermentation proceeeds more rapidly.  The viability of successive generations is also reduced compared the the lab culture, another reason to pitch higher counts.

I think that is a fair representation of what I thought I remembered from ym first time through the book.

Great book by the way.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 06:59:25 pm »
Beano to the rescue!!!

Went to make lunch today. Pulled the container of beans out of the fridge and dumped it into a saucepan. The smell of fermented wort wafted up...

There went my yeast cake for the batch of Kolsch planned for this weekend. :-\
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale
6. Key Lime Pie (11%) Chilled to 29 deg. F. you can not even taste the alcohol.

It is time to start brewing again.