Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Digital Mash Thermometer Suggestions  (Read 9574 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Digital Mash Thermometer Suggestions
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:56:42 am »
I mash in a 10gal Gott and installed one of those Thermothingys years ago.  After what I now think have been inconsistent readings, I want to get a good instant read digital thermometer and take readings from the top of the mash.  I've tried several different thermometers from the side but I think it might be better to take several readings at different locations.  I've kinda been leaning toward the Thermopen but I don't really want to drop that kinda coin If there might be something comparable.  Any Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
-J.K.L.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Digital Mash Thermometer Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:04 am »
I don't have any suggestions for something comparable to the thermopen.  I really like mine.  Yeah, it's a bit pricey but I use mine for a variety of cooking and grilling tasks as well as brewing.  Definitely one of the better purchases I've made and worth every penny IMHO.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:39:17 am »
I've got one of these that I really like. 

http://vwrlabshop.com/vwr-lollipop-thermometers/p/0025608/

Not as fast as the Thermopen, but very accurate and less expensive.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:14:16 am »
I absolutely love my thermapen.  Finally brought it to brew day, and the guy that does the cooking (I'm the basement bi+ch) wants one now.  If you can afford it, go for it.  It will get used for more than just brewing.

Only problem I have with it for brewing is that the probe is kind of short (about 6").  The one that Denny showed looks like it has a bit longer probe, which will let you get farther into the center of the mash, allowing you to check for consistency throughout.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:12:28 am »
I like the speed of the Thermapen but I also would like a longer probe (insert joke here).  Denny,  If you had to guestimate, how long would you say it takes to get a reading on yours?  I like that price a lot better.
-J.K.L.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:21:10 am »
I bought a digital thermometer from walmart a few years ago. At our elevation water boils at ~207F. Every time I've checked it, it was right on. I think it was around $12. Came with an extra battery but I've never change it out. Here's a pic of the display.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:41:44 am »
I've got one of these that I really like. 

http://vwrlabshop.com/vwr-lollipop-thermometers/p/0025608/

Not as fast as the Thermopen, but very accurate and less expensive.
I just picked one of these up and I love it. I would also recommend it.
Mark Gres

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:58:59 am »
I bought a digital thermometer from walmart a few years ago. At our elevation water boils at ~207F. Every time I've checked it, it was right on. I think it was around $12. Came with an extra battery but I've never change it out. Here's a pic of the display.  Cheers!!!

That looks like the CDN.  A very good brand of thermonmeter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 12:27:45 pm »
I have a superfast thermapen as well. Love it. It gets used for everything- a real multitasker.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:51:35 pm »
I have a superfast thermapen as well. Love it. It gets used for everything- a real multitasker.

A big +1 for the Thermapen!

I recently bought the Thermapen and I'm really impressed with the performance.
Ron Price

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 02:58:37 pm »

That looks like the CDN.  A very good brand of thermonmeter.

I had one of those.  One thing to keep in mind is they don't float.  Mine didn't appreciate going swimming and I had to replace it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:46 pm »

That looks like the CDN.  A very good brand of thermometer.

I had one of those.  One thing to keep in mind is they don't float.  Mine didn't appreciate going swimming and I had to replace it.

Paul

That funny Paul, but I think about it every time it's in the mash, must or Kettle. I've busted my share of hydrometers so I'm sure my day is coming with the thermometer too.  Always thinking one step ahead of what I'm doing (AKA - Not paying attention).  ;) Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »
I had one like the 9842 for a short while, but it just busted one day taking it out of its sleeve - right through the electronics package.  And the whole instant-read thing is for the birds, instant is not instant enough when you're holding the thing in steam (although maybe those Thermapens read much faster - never tried one of those...), so I went back to floating glass thermometers for a while.  However, someone in another thread a while ago (sorry can't find it via search - may have been another forum) suggested this one:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/270413365211?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=217172390646&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=5e074d951290a0aad4e3a2d3feb49f25&itemid=270413365211&ff4=263602_304662

I happened to see a Farberware copy of this one (they look identical other than brand name, perhaps they are the same?) at the grocery store and picked it up.  Its reading matches exactly with my dial thermometer at mash temps so at least I know I have precision, if not necessarily accuracy.  ;)  Works awesome and I just leave the probe in my mash cooler with the cord coming from under the lid no prob.  Or dangling in the kettle if I'm heating strike or sparge water.  The alarm is kinda nice so that I can be dinking around doing other things while I'm waiting for water to heat.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline bobby_m

• Cellarman
    • BrewHardware
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 11:46:27 am »
Granted it can come off as biased because I sell them but I like the CDN proaccurate a lot. It's the thermo I personally use for brewing because it's waterproof, recalibratable, stainless steel body, has a hold button and has larger numbers. It looks like this and is less than 20 bucks.

Sure, thermopen if you've got the $90 to spare. Otherwise, I recommend this one.