Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Upgrade!  (Read 1687 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Upgrade!
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:47:49 am »
I had a moment of weakness over the weekend (OK..a couple).  I saw that AIH had converted Sanke kegs for $154 so I bought 2.  Then I felt I also needed a grain mill so I bought a 15# BarleyCrusher.  So finally after a loooong time.I can do 10+ gal batches!  Well almost?  I'm think also gonna get a 70qt Extreme cooler?  I'm thinking about a March pump as well.  My 3 tier is gonna be awfully high with a burner and Sanke on top.  I was also thinking about putting a S/S tee Sightglass/Thermometer thingy in the Thermometer coupler on the HLT and just a Sightglass on the boiler...suggestions?  What about p/u tubes?  I know I want one in the HLT.  Who uses one one in the boil kettle?  Seems to me like it could get clogged easy?  I'm just looking for some experienced advice on putting this system together. Thanks in advance!!!
-J.K.L.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:05:33 am »
I use a Bazooka screen along the periphery of my boil kettle. I whirlpool at the end of the boil and let it settle for 15 minutes. That leaves all the trub in the center and the Bazooka screen keeps out the rest.

I have a single-tier system and batch sparge with a March pump, silicone hose and QDs.

Brew on
Brew on

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:58:26 pm »
Why a pickup tube in the HLT? Just calibrate the sight glass to 0 when it gets to the bottom of the outlet. The water below doesn't matter.

Best deal in sight glasses is HERE.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 04:51:10 am »
I use a Bazooka screen along the periphery of my boil kettle.
Brew on

How do you have that connected?  I just have the bazooka screen going straight out and I'd like run it along the side so I can whirlpool.
Clint
Wort Hogs