Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Did I brew an Alt?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Did I brew an Alt?
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:43:07 pm »
Or just some dang Euro-ale...?

For 2.5 gallons. Just a test batch before I brew 6 gallons of the stuff.

2# 2-row
1# Munich (light)
2oz Chocolate malt
1.25# amber DME

0.25oz Magnum 14.2 AA@45
0.75oz Hallertau 3.4 AA@20

Partial step mash (2 hours) @ 147F for 10 minutes and then raise to 154F.

OG   1.054
FG   1.014
IBU   38
ABV   5.2 %
SRM   15

Pitched 1 vial of wlp0029 @65F.

I overshot my volume and ended up with about 2.8 gallons. That left me at 1.050 but I'm not minding too much. 8)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
Re: Did I brew an Alt?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:10:49 pm »
*Bump*

Never brewed an Alt before...

And I'm getting a tremendous lag time with that wlp0029. ???

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:17:49 pm »
Well, yours is as much of an alt as the alts I make!  IOW, not quite, but in the ballpark.  IBUs are a bit light, and I'm not at all a fan of 0029 in an alt, but you're close.  Although I like the "Dang Euro Ale" designation!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:33:32 pm »
The grist bill and hop schedule looks close to an alt but your yeast selection is questionable. WLP029 is a great Kolsch yeast but for an alt it may give you some fruitiness that's typically restrained in an alt.

Although I have never tried 029 in an alt...let us know how it turns out.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:43:36 pm »
Thanks guys. Any suggestions regarding a more appropriate yeast strain? I'm going to keep this in the mid to high 60's for the attenuative phase.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:45:10 pm »
WY1007 is my favorite, although I've won ribbons for alts made with 1056.  You need a clean crisp yeast, which I don't seem to get with 0029.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:47:03 pm »
I have a really good Dusseldorf Altbier recipe using WLP036. Very clean yeast that works well in a balanced ale like an alt.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:44:08 pm »
I kegged this up a couple days ago and reserved a 4 oz sample to try. Oh it's good! I can taste all the malts and the bitterness is pronounced but not aggressive. The yeast seems pretty clean, but until more tests are performed (drinking) I'll withhold judgment.

Going to lager it for a couple weeks and then rack to bottles.