Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Comp Entries Up?  (Read 6578 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Beer Comp Entries Up?
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:36:42 pm »
I've been at this all of two months, but both the KC Biermeisters event and now the Drunk Monk Challenge are both getting record numbers of entries (DMC is supposed to be close to 800).  Is this reflecting a new interest in homebrewing, in comps or both?  Or have they seen steady growth over the last few years?  Just curious.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Beer Comp Entries Up?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:48:00 pm »
Based on a dramatic increase in AHA membership, I'd say the overall hobby is up.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:55:40 pm »
I could see the increase in microbreweries helping to educate the consumer, and the price of commercial craft beer causing them to want to make their own.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 02:09:05 pm »
Entries in our competitions jumped last year and the trend is continuing this year.  We're on our some-teenth annual comp and we never broke ~220 before.  Last year hit ~350, this year 424.  I don't know why exactly, but it wasn't a slow and steady gain.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:10:31 pm »
Homebrewing at the World Expo of Beer certainly took a leap in entries this year.  Nearly 900 a year after having just over 450.  Crazy growth in brewing, home and commercial, in Michigan.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:11:42 pm »
I know I brew partially (Very partially) because I can have good beer when I want it for .5 or less of the prices in the store. With the economy in the shape it has been in of late perhaps people are getting frugal like their grandparents were back in the 20s.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:14:48 pm »
Our Florida only homebrew competition (Best Florida Beer Championships) had a record 480 entries this year.  We also had 102 entries in the Pro Comp side of BFBC, all from little breweries in Florida.
I doubt that any of these folks entered to save money though.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:16:09 pm »
I know I brew partially (Very partially) because I can have good beer when I want it for .5 or less of the prices in the store. With the economy in the shape it has been in of late perhaps people are getting frugal like their grandparents were back in the 20s.

That could explain increased interest in homebrewing, but not comp entries.  And I'm not sure it is really a driving force behind the increase in homebrewing, though it could be a factor.

One thing, it makes getting invited to be a judge easier!  But I'm not sure I'd want to be a comp organizer.  Wow, how do you deal with double the entries on relatively short notice?  Yikes.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:17:04 pm »
Homebrewing at the World Expo of Beer certainly took a leap in entries this year.  Nearly 900 a year after having just over 450.  Crazy growth in brewing, home and commercial, in Michigan.

I have entered this one each year.  It has become a big one.  Maybe the second largest east of the Mississippi.  Hats off to the Cass River Club for pulling it off.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 02:17:52 pm »

That could explain increased interest in homebrewing, but not comp entries.  And I'm not sure it is really a driving force behind the increase in homebrewing, though it could be a factor.

One thing, it makes getting invited to be a judge easier!  But I'm not sure I'd want to be a comp organizer.  Wow, how do you deal with double the entries on relatively short notice?  Yikes.

Then I'll blame it on reality TV. everybody wants to be in a contest. Ahh I'm just talking out my a$$
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »
One thing, it makes getting invited to be a judge easier!  But I'm not sure I'd want to be a comp organizer.  Wow, how do you deal with double the entries on relatively short notice?  Yikes.
We've been working hard to increase the number of judges in the area.  In the past we took two days to get through < 200 entries, last weekend we got through almost 400 in just two sessions (~25 or 30 were taken care of Friday night).  If you have enough judges you can really get a lot done quickly.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 03:11:01 pm »

That's kind of what I was thinking. Incomes may go down but alcohol consumption remains relatively stable. hic...  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 03:24:49 pm »
As Denny said the hobby is up.  It has become very popular with the people in their 20's and early 30's. 

My first NHC was Chicago, 2003.  At the last 2, I have been impressed with the influx of young people at the conference.  On the other hand, I have gotten a little older. ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 03:26:27 pm »
We've been working hard to increase the number of judges in the area.  In the past we took two days to get through < 200 entries, last weekend we got through almost 400 in just two sessions (~25 or 30 were taken care of Friday night).  If you have enough judges you can really get a lot done quickly.

How many beers do you have a judge evaluate in a session?  I did ten each of porters and Irish/Scottish ales (in a 2hr period), that can be tough slogging.  Not that I'm complaining mind you, just challenging to find those subtle nuances of flavor in entry #10.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 03:40:58 pm »

How many beers do you have a judge evaluate in a session?  I did ten each of porters and Irish/Scottish ales (in a 2hr period), that can be tough slogging.  Not that I'm complaining mind you, just challenging to find those subtle nuances of flavor in entry #10.
20 beers in 2 hours?!  Nothing that fast, we had 7 in the first session, then a mini BOS.  9 in the second session (after lunch).  About 2 hours per session, some people took longer (had more beers, started late, whatever).  It was a very relaxed pace, and I wasn't too swilly to drive home after.
Tom Schmidlin