Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA question  (Read 2791 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
IPA question
« on: April 02, 2011, 07:42:35 am »
Folks,
We recently brewed our first commerical IPA in Korea... and dry-hopped it too.  I got a chance to taste it Wednesday.  The beer was supposed to taste like Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, however, in my opinion, tasted very similar to Avery's DuganA - which I do not like.  The beer was supposed to have a grain bill of 88% 2-row and 12% Crystal 40L.  However, the local brewers did not have the Crystal malt and used some dark malt instead to give the beer it's color... perhaps 10 lbs (I can't remember what the exact grain bill was in pounds for the entire beer).  I looked up Avery's website and saw that their DuganA has a grain bill that includes an aromatic dark malt addition.  Perhaps this is why this beer tastes like the DuganA and very unlike the SN Celebration Ale?  Also, the hop aroma is not nearly what I expected.  I'm obviously not that pleased with the beer, but at least we're moving forward... baby steps like Billy Murray said in that movie "What About Bob".

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: IPA question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:04:58 am »
Looks like you answered your own question. Crystal is, for me, a must in this type of beer. Roasted grains don't give the body.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:55:56 am »
I like Dugana and hopefully a bunch of people over there do too so the batch is not a total waste.  Maybe for the next batch they can get some crystal.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rmassimiano

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:37:28 pm »
Where are you brewing in Korea? I am going there for a Veterinary convention this summer for 10 days in and around Seoul and am looking for some breweries to visit. Any good brewing operations to check out?

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 02:40:59 pm »
rmassimiano,

I hate to break it to you, but Korea is a beer lovers wasteland.  We're trying to do our best to inspire the ex-pat populace with our ideas on good beer, but it's tough given Korea's importing laws and cultural bent towards "yellow fizzy" beer.  The pub I helped recently brew an IPA is called Craftworks Taphouse (craftworkstaphouse.com).  Their beers are brewed locally at a small brewery a little over an hour northeast of Seoul.  Craftworks is your best bet for "good" beer in Korea.

Also, look up HomebrewKorea.com if you get a chance.  It's a good website for all things beer in Korea.  My screen name is the same as here.  When you get ready to come to Korea, you can contact me if you need any information about the area or if anything's changed regarding the beer scene in Seoul.

Cheers,
Bill

Offline rmassimiano

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »
rmassimiano,

I hate to break it to you, but Korea is a beer lovers wasteland.  We're trying to do our best to inspire the ex-pat populace with our ideas on good beer, but it's tough given Korea's importing laws and cultural bent towards "yellow fizzy" beer.  The pub I helped recently brew an IPA is called Craftworks Taphouse (craftworkstaphouse.com).  Their beers are brewed locally at a small brewery a little over an hour northeast of Seoul.  Craftworks is your best bet for "good" beer in Korea.

Also, look up HomebrewKorea.com if you get a chance.  It's a good website for all things beer in Korea.  My screen name is the same as here.  When you get ready to come to Korea, you can contact me if you need any information about the area or if anything's changed regarding the beer scene in Seoul.

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks Bill for the input.

Its sad to hear that its a wasteland. Hopefully you can expose the people there to what they are missing out on. I live on the island of Grenada, West Indies, now and there is not much variety. We have Carib and Stag (fizzy yellow beers) but the same brewery also makes a great Guiness Extra Stout and you can get a Mackesons Stout also.

I'll see if I can make my way up to Craftworks while I am there. I'll check in with you when its closer to July and see if theres anything new going on.

-Ross

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:55:00 pm »
The pub I helped recently brew an IPA is called Craftworks Taphouse (craftworkstaphouse.com).  Their beers are brewed locally at a small brewery a little over an hour northeast of Seoul.  Craftworks is your best bet for "good" beer in Korea.

I'd be afraid to drink anything from a brewery with the word "staph" in their web address.
 ;)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »
I wish making a beer that tasted like DuganA was a "bad" brew day for me :)
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:43:52 am »
The pub I helped recently brew an IPA is called Craftworks Taphouse (craftworkstaphouse.com).  Their beers are brewed locally at a small brewery a little over an hour northeast of Seoul.  Craftworks is your best bet for "good" beer in Korea.

I'd be afraid to drink anything from a brewery with the word "staph" in their web address.
 ;)

Ew....... :o
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 12:51:14 pm »

I live on the island of Grenada, West Indies...

-Ross

Total change of subject, I just gotta say I had an amazing vacation on Grenada a few years ago.