Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best by date  (Read 6743 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Best by date
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 02:48:37 pm »
Jurassic yeast

You are a sick man.... I like that. ;D
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 03:12:18 pm »
Jurassic yeast

no, no, no... tubercle ain't sick. well, maybe he is  ::)  but in this case, he's spot on.....
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-08/ff_primordial_yeast

45 million year old jurassic yeast. damn, now this guy is a yeast rancher of a whole 'nother caliber!
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »
Jurassic yeast

no, no, no... tubercle ain't sick. well, maybe he is  ::)  but in this case, he's spot on.....
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-08/ff_primordial_yeast

45 million year old jurassic yeast. damn, now this guy is a yeast rancher of a whole 'nother caliber!

Oooooo....I'd like to have some of that. There might be a cell floating around in the bottle. Just need 1 ;D

Has anybody tried this?
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 05:48:01 pm »
I haven't seen much activity, but this is what it looks like 24 hours later.

Since I obviously started this off incorrectly what would be the correct course of action? Take a gravity reading and step up? I was thinking of swirling it...

Do you see the very thin layer of white yeast above the brown layer. I believe that is new growth. I suggest decanting the wort and adding some fresh 1.020-1.030 strength wort and shake intermittently for a day or two and repeat.

You're golden is golden.  8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 09:59:52 pm »
I crash cooled for 24 hours and decanted per Tom's advice. Made up 3 qts of 1.033 wort with 3/4 tsp yeast nutrient.

Recalling back I just used RO water for the initial 2 cups. No calcium etc... This time I diluted the RO with some unsoftened  tap water to get minerals in there.

So the grower is 3/4 full and hopefully will be a bubbling when I get home...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 12:11:59 am »
And she is! There is some real movement in the beer. I haven't seen anything like that since using carboys back in the early 90's.

Measured the decanted liquor. Came in at 1.020 which isn't too shabby considering the circumstances. Probably would have finished if it had set for another day or so.

Excited. I guess ya'll will see a new convert to making starters. Another piece of the puzzle slots into place...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 12:46:14 am »
Made up 3 qts of 1.033 wort with 3/4 tsp yeast nutrient.
:o
That's at least 3x what I meant when I said "half a pinch"!  I'm sure it will be fine though. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 03:35:31 am »
That's at least 3x what I meant when I said "half a pinch"!  I'm sure it will be fine though. :)

I got big fingers!

Naw really the the packet of nutrient said "1 tsp per gallon".

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 10:07:27 am »

I got big fingers!

Naw really the the packet of nutrient said "1 tsp per gallon".

Wow.  The Wyeast nutrient recommends 1/8 tsp.for propagation and 1/2 tsp. for 5 gal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 10:58:29 am »
This is the problem with "yeast nutrient", it's non-specific.  At that rate euge, I suspect the yeast nutrient you have is simply dead yeast, aka yeast extract, yeast hulls, yeast ghosts, etc.  You definitely wouldn't want to use that much dap.  I'm sure it's fine though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 11:51:08 am »
It's just a starter not going to drink it. LOL though I did taste the first one. Hmmm Duvel anyone...?

The nutrient is a white granular substance. In the future I will add just a pinch- to keep the little buggers happy.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 12:45:59 pm »
The nutrient is a white granular substance. In the future I will add just a pinch- to keep the little buggers happy.
Really?  That sounds like diammonium phosphate.  Are you sure the directions didn't say 1 tsp per 5 gallons?  What brand is it?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 12:54:03 pm »
Really?  That sounds like diammonium phosphate.  Are you sure the directions didn't say 1 tsp per 5 gallons?  What brand is it?

Could be that it is an inadvertent typo.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 01:12:40 pm »
It sure looks like DAP, but is probably a blend of DAP and urea.  Nothing to worry about.

For comparison:
northern brewer sells DAP with directions to use 1/2-3/4 gram per gallon for wine, mead, and cider
morebeer sells "Yeast Nutrient" (DAP) with directions to use 1/2-3/4 gram per gallon or 1/2 tsp for 5 gallons.
northern brewer also sells "Yeast Nutrient" that is a mix of DAP and urea and says "One teaspoon per gallon recommended for wine, mead, and cider"
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 11:50:26 am »
Pitched the 3 quart starter into the 2.5 gallons yesterday around 1300. When I got home at 0200 the Golden Strong was at high krausen.

I've made starters before but reviving a vial that old is a first for me. Now I feel like a new phase in my brewing is beginning. I'll be stepping up my vials from now on. Thanks for the advice guys!

BTW I crash cooled the 2-cups but didn't for the 3 quarts. I just let it settle out on the counter for a couple days since it wouldn't fit in the fridge. JP advises adding more wort to revive activity in this circumstance. Doesn't seem necessary to me.