Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegging Initiated  (Read 10328 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Kegging Initiated
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:34:40 pm »
Finally got my CO2 tank this morning and refurbished and sanitized three of the four kegs I have tonight.  The forth is an oddball and the poppets didn't fit so that one's out of commission until I can get the right ones.  I can already see that I'm going to need more kegs  :)

But I got the regulator figured out and put together a jumper to move liquid between the kegs under pressure so that's all good.  Also seems like everything is holding pressure with no leaks.  Used some of this and lathered it liberally over everything and didn't see any bubbles.

So I'm off and running.  I've got two beers that I'm planning on kegging tomorrow.  I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders as the bottling dread dissipates.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Kegging Initiated
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:58:10 pm »
That's fantastic. How will you be serving? Going all out or keeping it simple?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:23:31 am »
Keeping it simple for now.  I have a 14.8 cubic foot chest freezer and I got myself some picnic taps.  The plan is to eventually build a collar for it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:03:18 am »
If you ever get into making lagers, my advice is to double your number of kegs.

Right now I have 8 kegs lagering.  You still need some more for the fast to produce ales and aged strong beers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 06:11:10 am »
Yeah, I make quiet a few lagers and plan to lager in the kegs.  So I will need more kegs pretty soon.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:18:02 pm »
I appear to be having a bit of an issue with a slow gas leak around the connection between the tubing and the gas quick disconnect.  I'm using 5/16 inch line which fits snugly to the regulator barb but not so snugly to the disconnect barb.  On my first attempt I really ratcheted the hose clamps down and I think I ended up perforating the tube.  So I trimmed the ends and tried again but it looks like I still have a bit of a leak.

Any tips or tricks on getting that connection snugged up or do I just need to play with the clamp tightness until I get it right?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:06 pm »
Use 1/4" id line which will give a good fit on the ball lock barb. To get it on the other barb, dip the end inch in some very hot water to soften, then force it on the barb.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:53:28 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:53:38 pm »
+1 on the hot water and sometimes good luck is with a little keg lube.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:02:49 pm »
Use 1/4" id line which will give a good fit on the ball lock barb. To get it on the other barb, dip the end inch in some very hot water to soften, then force it on the barb.

Thanks.  I probably will get the 1/4 line going forward.  For the moment I seem to have it under control.

Kegged up two beers today.  Got the strong golden ale sitting at 15 psi and the ESB sitting at 5 psi in the 39F chest freezer.  And I managed to do that with two kids to myself since my wife is out of town.  This kegging sh*t is friggen great.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 07:14:40 am »
Most of the barbs on the disconnects are 1/4 inch, and it seems most regulators are being sold with 5/16 barbs. I swapped mine out so the regulators have 1/4 inch as well. Then I just use 3/16 inch beer line throughout my system (beer and gas side), and buy it by the 100 ft roll..
Mark Gres

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 08:53:42 am »
I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders as the bottling dread dissipates.

I am in the same boat, having just started myself.  Yep, already need more kegs ::)

One thing about mine, I noticed, is that the flow rate on those picnic taps
can be hard to keep track of... ;D
Normally, I have a few bottles around to tell me how much I am in for.....
ahh, learning to use the keg.  Enjoy!

Now I am thinking I need a dedicated lager fridge,
because I am not liking my IPA at 36 degrees as much :-\ 
One thing leads to another in this hobby.  heh, Cheers!

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 02:28:21 pm »
I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders as the bottling dread dissipates.
One thing leads to another in this hobby.  heh, Cheers!

Yeah, I have a small chest freezer for fermenting and now a big one for serving/lagering.  I somehow don't think the wife would look fondly on adding a third so I'm going to have to strike a compromise temperature for serving and lagering.  I have it set at 39F right now.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 02:41:35 pm »
One thing leads to another in this hobby.  heh, Cheers!

Yeah, I have a small chest freezer for fermenting and now a big one for serving/lagering.  I somehow don't think the wife would look fondly on adding a third so I'm going to have to strike a compromise temperature for serving and lagering.  I have it set at 39F right now.

Ahhh.... Not sure how long you have been married but there are ways; take it from an old timer.

A surprise "date" with an expensive dinner (I mean, you got to eat something, right?), and a small gift of some sort of jewelry (catch it on sale) as "a small token of appreciation for putting up with me and all of my making a mess with all the brewing stuff I do. Thank you and I love you more for it. I never imagined anyone could have a more understanding wife, compassionate companion and best friend" will go farther than you will ever imagine. A few small tears doesn't hurt.

Strike while the iron is hot! In the moment of rhapsody..."All I need is one more small chest freezer then I will have reached the zenith of happiness", and then, little grasshopper, it shall be yours.

Tubercle has many things 8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:47:06 pm by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 04:01:41 pm »
One thing leads to another in this hobby.  heh, Cheers!

Yeah, I have a small chest freezer for fermenting and now a big one for serving/lagering.  I somehow don't think the wife would look fondly on adding a third so I'm going to have to strike a compromise temperature for serving and lagering.  I have it set at 39F right now.

Ahhh.... Not sure how long you have been married but there are ways; take it from an old timer.

A surprise "date" with an expensive dinner (I mean, you got to eat something, right?), and a small gift of some sort of jewelry (catch it on sale) as "a small token of appreciation for putting up with me and all of my making a mess with all the brewing stuff I do. Thank you and I love you more for it. I never imagined anyone could have a more understanding wife, compassionate companion and best friend" will go farther than you will ever imagine. A few small tears doesn't hurt.

Strike while the iron is hot! In the moment of rhapsody..."All I need is one more small chest freezer then I will have reached the zenith of happiness", and then, little grasshopper, it shall be yours.

Tubercle has many things 8)
Tubercle is a wise man.
Mark Gres

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 04:12:37 pm »
Haha, yeah.  I'm sure I could convince her if I wanted to commit the political capital.  I'm just not convinced myself yet that it's absolutely necessary.  I mean, all the beer I've been drinking all along here has been in bottles in the fridge chilled to lower than ideal serving temp.  It warms up in the glass.  I can probably live with that.

Now if I run out of space in the lagering/serving freezer that will be a different story...
Clint
Wort Hogs