Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Overshot my OG  (Read 5000 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Overshot my OG
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 11:35:53 am »
A wine thief means that you got a sample from lower down where the wort settled.  That makes sense given your high reading.  If it would have been from the top you likely would have been too low.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 12:20:00 pm »
One other thought: weigh your ingredients when you get them home. I started doing that after one batch seemed about a pound off. You can always adjust quantity based on what the weight of ingredients are. I think it's just a case of the LHBS being a little casual depending on who is working there, since the weight is likely to be a little off in either direction, whether it's hops, grains, or DME.

As noted in an earlier post, I also watch the LHBS folks like a hawk, but I still weigh when I get home. My hops were actually well over the 1-ounce measure per packet last time.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline classic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 10:10:33 am »
So I bottled the dunkelweizen 5 days ago after 2 weeks in the primary.  Got steady FG readings at 1.020 over the course of 3 days, so I figured it wouldn't drop any more.  I took the FG readings both with a wine thief and with skimming off the top, difference was  maybe 1-2 gravity points.  I warmed it up to 70 towards the end of fermentation to try to dry it out a little more but no luck.  Oh well! It tasted really good anyway and I can't wait to drink it.  Surprisingly, it didn't have as much residual sweetness as I was expecting from the reading, not cloying in any way.  I primed it with sugar to get to about 3.5 volumes to try to reduce the perception of body a little more.  Have brewed a few other batches since then and have not run in to any problems overshooting the OG so I guess I'll just continue to brew as I have been, although I did get an aeration kit recently so maybe that will help with FG's.

Offline classic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:17 pm »
I've been drinking this beer for a while and it has tasted really good. It actually recently took second in local competition with 35 points, so I guess RDWHAHB was good advice as usual.