Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cigars and Beer  (Read 2761 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Cigars and Beer
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:36:50 am »
I never smoke, unless it's a cigar, and that I only do about once every couple-3 months. Yesterday I picked up a Davidoff and a couple Romeo & Julieta, all Claro Robustos. I like a cigar that's not going to wreck my palate. Probably going to have the Davidoff after Saturday's lunch, but I'm not sure about what to have it with. I just got a bottle of Oc'Ale noire that might work well:

Anybody else pair beers with cigars? What's your favorite combo?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Cigars and Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:02:36 am »
I just released a beer called "Tobacco Road" a couple weeks ago that I designed to compliment a fine cigar. It was an Imperial Amber ale that I aged for 4 months and dry hopped 3 times in the bright tanks. I find a lot of beers get lost when paired witha  cigar but this one, while a very nice beer on its own right, was complimented nicely when paired with a medium bodied cigar.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:38:09 am »
I just released a beer called "Tobacco Road" a couple weeks ago that I designed to compliment a fine cigar. It was an Imperial Amber ale that I aged for 4 months and dry hopped 3 times in the bright tanks. I find a lot of beers get lost when paired witha  cigar but this one, while a very nice beer on its own right, was complimented nicely when paired with a medium bodied cigar.

Ah, great! I happen to have an Imperial Amber IPA, I'll try that instead. The Oc'Ale Noire has a sour character (more soured than Guinness) so I was thinking it could cut the smoke a bit that way, but I like the hoppy amber thing better.

Also re flavors getting lost, I never go higher than a colorado claro, otherwise you're right, the flavor gets lost.
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:57:44 am »
I am a cigar aficionada for sure. The latest addition to my humidor is La Gloria Cubana Churchills (Natural). I love a good cigar with my IPA. Major is on to something with his IAA. I really like a big beer with a good smoke. I have been a Dominican fan for many years but have also found the Nicaraguan blends to be pretty good as well. Perdomo Lot 23 Natural is another goodie and is finding a regular spot in my humidor.
Ron Price

jaybeerman

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:04:31 am »
Oh man, one of my favorite combos (I cut way back and now only get to enjoy this once or twice a year).  I like the thoughts so far; in order to NOT need a gigantic beer I had been pairing R&J Habana Reserve with a number of different beers.  I also like the Oliva cigars; "O" is also smooth enough to pair with a lot of different beers, the "V" is more substantial and needs a beer like majorvices has put together.  Bluesman is dead on with the Lot 23 and I like their Habano as well.  I thoroughly enjoyed a Camacho Corojo with a hb dark, velvety, oaked braggot, but about an hour after I finished the relaxed smoke session I felt like I was having a heart attack  :D I laugh now but that cigar is perhaps a little too strong for my light smoking habits (great flavor).

I hate saying this on a beer site but I often prefer coffee with a cigar to beer with a cigar.  cheers, j

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:24:55 pm »
I'm not a big beer and cigar guy because I don't often find beers go well with cigars, which is why I set out to try and design a beer that actually compliments the cigar. Seemed to work well. That said, I agree: coffee goes well with a  cigar. But since most of my cigars are smoked in the evening I find bourbon to be the best pairing.

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:46:33 pm »
I'm not a big beer and cigar guy because I don't often find beers go well with cigars, which is why I set out to try and design a beer that actually compliments the cigar. Seemed to work well. That said, I agree: coffee goes well with a  cigar. But since most of my cigars are smoked in the evening I find bourbon to be the best pairing.

the beer sounds great, i wish i could give it a try.  thanks guys, i might have go get my first cigar for the year

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 04:48:53 am »
yummy, beer and cigars.  What a great combo!  My favorite pairing is Lion Stout with a Rocky Patel Edge or a Partagas Black.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 05:20:59 am »
yummy, beer and cigars.  What a great combo!  My favorite pairing is Lion Stout with a Rocky Patel Edge or a Partagas Black.

I love Patels. They don't sell them here, for some bizarre reason. Too bad. Patel "Decade" is an excellent cigar.
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 11:51:07 am »

I love Patels. They don't sell them here, for some bizarre reason. Too bad. Patel "Decade" is an excellent cigar.

Try these guys. JR's is really good and Cigars for less can get whatever you want.

http://www.jrcigars.com/

http://www.cigars-for-less.com/index.cfm
Ron Price

jaybeerman

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 09:30:50 pm »
The nice thing about JR's is that they often have the figurado version of a good cigar.  I like Mikes and cigar.com sometimes too.  Anybody pair beer with their pipe tobacco?  cheers, j

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 04:08:52 am »
The nice thing about JR's is that they often have the figurado version of a good cigar.  I like Mikes and cigar.com sometimes too.  Anybody pair beer with their pipe tobacco?  cheers, j

Ya, thanks for the link. Although I think it's a bit silly to order cigars from the US when I can get the real Havana deal here without breaking the law ;-)

I've always been interested in pipe tobacco because I loved loved loved the smell of my dad's old pipe. I have no idea where to even start on that one.
----

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00:00 am »
I've always been interested in pipe tobacco because I loved loved loved the smell of my dad's old pipe. I have no idea where to even start on that one.
find a good tobacco shop.
go in and smell some of the various tobaccos.
buy a small amount of a few you like.
try them.
repeat above.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

jaybeerman

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 12:01:53 pm »
find a good tobacco shop.
go in and smell some of the various tobaccos.
buy a small amount of a few you like.
try them.
repeat above.

simple as that.  Just a couple extra thoughts - you could break pipe tobacco into two (very) basic groups aromatic and non-aromatic.  the aromatic type has a flavoring added to the tobacco.  that said, there's a million different flavors to be had with non-aromatic tobacco through blending.  Also,  it would be good to mention that you're a cigar smoker.  read through the following link and you'd be set to pick some out for yourself.  don't forget to buy several types, your initial choices may surprise you once you smoke them.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze43wza/smoke/tobacco.html
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:04:08 pm by jaybeerman »