Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: first all grain - IPA recipe critique  (Read 4171 times)

Offline birdman200

• 1st Kit
first all grain - IPA recipe critique
« on: March 25, 2011, 02:50:05 pm »
Hey so I am thinking of going all grain this summer, and I decided to start making a recipe for a pretty basic IPA, whatcha think?

5 gallon batch
11 lb US 2 row
1 lb Carafoam

1oz Chinook 60min
1.5oz Centennial 10 min
1oz Chinook 5 min
3oz Centennial 1 min
3oz Columbus dry hop (5 days)

Wyeast 1056

EST abv: 6.46%
EST OG: 1.065
EST FG: 1.015
IBU: 72.3

What I am concerned with is having it be too bitter...I LOVE IPAs and hoppy beers, but I don't want to over do it for a basic IPA, I don't want to go into the DIPA category (even though I know I am far from it).

Is the hop schedule okay?

Thanks!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: first all grain - IPA recipe critique
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:19:33 pm »
That doesn't look too hoppy to me and if it turns out to be too much the hops will mellow over time.  I like a little Crystal in mine, but what you have should be fine.
Dan Chisholm

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 04:23:30 pm »
That looks good to me!  I'm a big fan of Chinook all around, both bittering and flavor additions.  I just read a recent article about "Hop Bursting", so the 3 oz of Centennial at flameout looks rather appealing to me.  That and I love Centennial.

The only thing you might think about is adding a little, say .5# of some time of crystal malt.  Just to give it a little character.  3 oz Columbus is also pretty aggressive for a 6.5% beer, maybe try 2 oz for five days, taste it and see what you think.  Just my $.02 though!  Enjoy all grain, it tastes so much better IMO!

Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »
i agree with adding a little light crystal malt or maybe some toasted malt to the grist to give it some complexity, but on the other hand i've had some fine SMaSH IPA's.

Offline srnoel

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:52:10 pm »
Love the hops, but I like my IPA's to be balanced malt/hop flavor so I would add .5 to 1 lbs of crystal.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 06:45:42 am »
Grist is more of an APA, some crystal (5%) for sweetness and additional sweet malt complexity and maybe a little color would bring it more to the American IPA style.  You're just over 1:1 IBU/OG so that is normal enough.  People like the bite of Chinook for bittering, I personally like my smooth Magnum a little better but I am working with Chinook more.

I'd also blend the late additions and use the blend at each step.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:03:49 am »
My IPA has a half pound of Carapils and a half pound of Crystal malt in addition to the 11 pounds of 2 row. Sometimes I add .25oz of Carafa 400º to darken the color a hair.... (1-2º) Bittering is Simcoe....which is running out for the year btw. (pellets)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:42:55 am by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 09:57:03 am »
Cut the carafoam back to 1/2 lb. and use 1/2-1 lb. of crystal.  C60 would be my choice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 11:26:41 am »
That looks delicious.  Here is another vote for crystal 60; preferably around 5-6% of the grain bill.  You could swap wheat malt for the carapils/foam @ 5% to boost head retention/formation.  I'm a munich and vienna fanboy and typically add 7-8% of each to the mix.  I like what it does for the malt profile.  You could also add a bit of aromatic malt to make things a bit more interesting  ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:28:55 am by Tristan »
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine