Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Chambers.  (Read 2835 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Fermentation Chambers.
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »
OK, it's all up and running. Turns out disposing of the evidence of my stupidity wasn't as easy as I thought. The recycling folks wanted a sticker from a licensed refrigeration dude that the gas was out. Well, it was out. Duh! In fact I had removed the compressor. So at Lowe's I found this cute 7 cubic footer for a good price and the dude let me drop the carcas of the dead one in the back. So I broke down.....lesson learned. BUT, I now have a KILLER setup! OK, maybe one more for lagering down the line...but THAT'S IT. ;D

http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/Fermentation.html
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Fermentation Chambers.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:18:25 pm »
I like the set-up! 
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:23:03 pm »
Nice. How big are those buckets? Mine are 7.9 gallons: 16" tall and 14" across. What are the dimensions of the 7 footer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:28:22 pm »
...but THAT'S IT. ;D

It's just the beginning... ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:31:57 pm »
Nice. How big are those buckets? Mine are 7.9 gallons: 16" tall and 14" across. What are the dimensions of the 7 footer?

These are 6 gallons, 12.5 across with the lid on, and a tad over 19 tall, not including the air lock.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:43:51 pm »
Nice setup!

I want to get a chest freezer for lagering as well. I have a chest that I use for both fermenting and lagering but I have to move things around to accomplish both.

When at last you think you've got the perfect setup...you want more.  ::)
Ron Price

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:51:27 am »
Good stuff. I've been struggling with my upright fermentation fridge. It works fine if I dont brew a lot but if I really get going, I run out of space quick. I can fit my 7.5 G conical on the bottom and then I can get one carboy on the shelf above. Then I'm all tapped out. Cant get a 3rd batch going until I keg and free up space.

The toughest thing for me to deal with recently is wanting two different temps for beer at different stages. For instance, if one beer is still fermenting but I need to start crashing the other so I can transfer to the keg, I cant really do that. I have to wait for the second batch to finish up and then crash them both.  Not a big deal but I wish I had the flexibility that you seem to have with your two chest set up. Got my wheels turning again, Oscar! Damn you!!!! :)
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 11:52:49 am »
Awesome, Oscar.  I've been wanting to get a fermentation fridge or chamber setup going as well.  It'd be nice to ferment at 60-62F year round.
Jesse

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 12:38:02 pm »
If you watch the sales you can get a 7qt chest freezer for around $160...perfectly holds 2 buckets which is one brew for me (10g).. The other one is a 12cf and holds 4 carboys, or I can even squeeze 2 carboys and 2 buckets in there..... That's 30 gallons of beer.

The controllers are expensive, yes. I leave home for days at a time and cannot be around to switch from heat to cool if necessary so I got the 2 stage ones.... You can save quite a bit with the single stage ones if you are around to keep an eye on them, or, you have a place to put them where ambient is relatively stable, just not what you need..... (Basment etc)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:47:22 am »
Why wouldn't you just get a Johnson controller and keep it at 62F indefinitely?  That's what I'd do, see.
Jesse

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 08:53:36 pm »
Why wouldn't you just get a Johnson controller and keep it at 62F indefinitely?  That's what I'd do, see.

Not sure what a Johnson does or doesn't do....

The temperature in the garage ranges from 8ºF to 100ºF The controller has to switch between heating and cooling automatically.