Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Should I be upset?  (Read 9920 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Should I be upset?
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:50:33 pm »
  Went to the local brewery Saturday night to hear a band, who was awesome BTW. The Wailing O'Sheas. And have a few pints. They have a very nice IPA there, called Googg. Not the best I've had, but very drinkable, and with a couple tweaks, something I would not mind having on tap.
  I asked the the brewess for the recipe, and she told me to go scratch! I've asked several brewers, home and pro for recipes, and they were more than happy to share them. Even Sierra Neveda, regarding their ESB. They were very willing to help me. Even had a thread about it hear a year or so ago. It was my understanding that it is common courtsey among brewers to share recipes. Really, you can give 10 brewers one recipe, and end up with 10 different beers. This move on her part really kind of turned me off to the brewery. Her beer is good. Not great, but good. Price is good to, at 2-4$ a pint depending on what it is. And she always has good entertainment. Food is wonderful too, and priced well. Not saying I am going to boycot her, but it just left me kind of sour to her as a person, and brewer. I thought brewers were cooler than that. MAybe she did not get the memo?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Should I be upset?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:52:44 pm »
I'd say she's a little bit insecure in her brewing prowess.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:54:23 pm »
Maybe she is on here and keeps hearing you say her brew is good but not great?

Try not to be upset..."Go Scratch"  is not so bad. :D

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:56:01 pm »
You should have said "Scratch what?"

What Weazletoe thought he said: "Excuse me, but would you kindly consider letting me have the recipe to this wonderful beer?"

What was really said ( taking into account a few have been consumed ): "Hey Bar Wench...give me this $%@ recipe so I can improve this s*** for you!!"   :o
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:58:55 pm by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:00:30 pm »

Maybe she is on here and keeps hearing you say her brew is good but not great?

Try not to be upset..."Go Scratch"  is not so bad. :D

No chance. I've told her more than once I enjoy her beer. Especially for 2-4$ a pint. As for "scratching" I may or may not have just summed up what she said.   ;D

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 01:07:26 pm »
while most brewers are open & willing to share recipes, techniques, etc; some are not (for whatever/many possible reasons). if you like the place, music, price, etc; then I'd just keep going there. if she gets to know you better, she 'might' be more willing to share, if not don't lose any sleep over it.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:08:08 pm »
Damn, she could've just said no, politely.  Most brewers, I think,  are willing to give you some direction.  I wouldn't expect someone to give me the exact recipe or anything.  
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:14:54 pm »
Is "go scratch" polite?  I'd have no problem with a brewer telling me no, but they shouldn't get offended.  Anyone who thinks a recipe is ultimate ingredient to brewing good beer is clueless.

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 01:17:48 pm »
If you asked while she was busy, that might be part of the issue.  

The brewers I know would discuss recipes generally but probably not go through the trouble to give proportions.  

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 01:27:11 pm »
Just to be equitable...was her beer that good you would want to brew it? If not, the answer is easy.

Fuggetaboutit!  8)
Ron Price

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 01:53:22 pm »
Since you must be referring to an Idaho brewpub, she obviously did not want to confess that she uses potatoes to bump up the gravity of her brews,

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 01:55:28 pm »
Like I said in the op, the beer was good, and with a treak or two, would be nice to have on tap. And, when I asked her, my words were, "obviously not right now, but next time I'm in could I get a rough idea what that recipe is?" I am in there often. She knows who I am, and we talk plesantries each time. Funny thing is, she does not ever seem to want to talk beer. Guess she is just sick of it.    ::)
 Also, as I stated, I will go back. I'm not boycotting the place. Beer is ok, food is good, entertainment is good, and the price is right. I just lost some respect for her, is my gripe, I guess. Does she really think by giving me a recipe, I'm really gonna run her out of town , 12 gallons at a time? Let's switch it up, and say I took her a sample of mine, and she really liked it, maybe even wanted to brew it. Of course I would give her the recipe. Not only that, I would not ask for, or expect money or even a mention on the tap handle.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 01:56:08 pm »
i got an esb from a brewery that i thought was delicious and i asked for their hop profile and they gave me the hops they used, but told me i was on my own for the amounts and addition times.  the owner of the brewery was a homebrewer, so i assume it was probaby a beer they had brewed in smaller batches at one time, but just didn't want to share the info. with me.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 02:22:57 pm »
I asked a brewer about a recipe once and he said "hold on", then went in the back and grabbed his brewing log and gave it to me to peruse :)  All of his recipes, and easy comparison to see how they varied from batch to batch based on what he had on hand.

But I've had the opposite experience as well, including interactions with some prickly brewers who seemed to not want to talk to anyone who knew anything about brewing.  They just wanted to be told how great their beer was, like you said, not talk about beer.  My favorite pro-brewers are those who love talking (and even arguing) about beer, not the curmudgeonly type.  I find their beer to be better in general too, and I think it's related - they know more because they enjoy the subject.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »
Yeah, it's all just people. They're an inconsistent, fickle lot. By and large the folks in craft brewing are wonderfully open, but then there are some who are closed off. I find this in all fields - many people willing to share and be proud and those who are closed and ready to assume that any sharing is liable to be grounds for mockery, jabs or theft. Combine that with the fact that no recipe is ultimately protectable except by trade secret and there you go.

Should you be upset? Nah. That's human nature. Enjoy the final product and let the person in question continue through the world in their protective armor.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison