Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Should I be upset?  (Read 9859 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Should I be upset?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 02:38:18 pm »
Weaz I want to be sympathetic with you but its tough.  Its a freakin' IPA, theres a thousand IPA recipes out there.  Pale malt and some crystal, hops at 60,15 and 5.  Plus you know you wouldn't follow directions, you already said you'd tweak it.  So why do you need the recipe?  I know, its kind of like asking a girl for her number and getting told "no".  No fun but no big deal, theres plenty more where taht came from my friend.

I'm glad you've found a decent spot to hang out there.  Is it close to home?  I've got to drive 20 miles for the privilege of microbrew, and theres generally no band.

If you want to get back at her, next time suggest that she up her crystal a bit, or some credible and legit suggestion like that.  Whatever you'd do to tweak it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 02:59:39 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for sympathy. And Yeah, It's just an IPA. I just thought it was poor manners. No hair off my back that I didn't get it. crap, if I really thought hard about a couple pints of it, I could probably crack the code any way. I was just curious if this was the way of most brewers, as I had thought the norm was to be a little more giving.
   Whoever said she does not want to talk beer to anyone in the know, she just wants praise for her beer, I think you hit it right on the head.
  And how from the where I live? Just about easily within stumbling distance. Five miuntes by car.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 03:20:04 pm »
Weaz I want to be sympathetic with you but its tough.  Its a freakin' IPA, theres a thousand IPA recipes out there. 
You could turn this around and say "it's a freakin' IPA, there's a thousand IPA recipes out there.  What's one more?" ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 03:21:43 pm »
It would irritate me a little. She could at least give you some direction. A brewer, like a chef, is certainly allowed to have a few secrets. But they also usually like to talk about the process and ingredients.

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 03:24:38 pm »
Maybe she doesn't know what the recipe is.  Quite possibly, the vendor who built the brewery did the formulation for her, and as a result she can't hold a conversation about the ingredients or how it all works.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 04:54:33 pm »
You could turn this around and say "it's a freakin' IPA, there's a thousand IPA recipes out there.  What's one more?" ;)

Touche mon frer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for sympathy.

Good 'cuz theres none coming your way!
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

jaybeerman

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:57 pm »
Just to play devil’s advocate (not a direct comment on weaz's experience).  Personally I’ve always liked the brewers who were willing to discuss beer but I’ve never asked a brewer for their recipe.  Cheers, j

1.  Brewers who don't feel like divulging their recipe might be thinking about the blood sweat and tears that went into the brewery to make that recipe possible for your consumption. 
2.  Half the fun in homebrewing could/should be from recipe formulation.  How cool would it be to figure her beer out, fix the issue and bring her a better version of her own beer?  If she asks what you did differently tell her to sit and spin.  ;D (or make a stink of being the better person and tell her)  I may start doing this with one of the brewpubs in my area.
3.  Recipes aren’t the ultimate ingredient?  Is this why all the beers of the world are made from briess pale, c40, cascade @ 60 min and California ale yeast?  This thought reminds me of the people who learned how to play half of “stairway to heaven” and then declared that page really wasn’t that good of a guitarist.  To copy (imitate) is not the same as to create.

narvin

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 06:05:59 pm »

3.  Recipes aren’t the ultimate ingredient?  Is this why all the beers of the world are made from briess pale, c40, cascade @ 60 min and California ale yeast?

You jest, but I bet that's the basis for her (and 80% of brewpubs') IPA.  People can tweak and innovate, but most of brewing relies on what others have done for many years.  The process is at least as important.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 07:14:59 pm »
Well it could be that she doesn't like the weaze.  Anybody else asks it like "sure!" but the weaze gets the cold treatment.  :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 07:25:14 pm »
Well it could be that she doesn't like the weaze.  Anybody else asks it like "sure!" but the weaze gets the cold treatment.  :-\

+1  I'm guessing he wasn't looking at her eyes when he asked the question.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 07:26:46 pm »

What?!? Doesn't she know who he thinks he is?  ;D  No biggie dude, carry on...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 07:31:22 pm »
Perhaps had he actually not been wearing pants he would have gotten the recipe.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 07:40:51 pm »
Perhaps had he actually not been wearing pants he would have gotten the recipe.

I'm with the major on this one.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 07:45:10 pm »
how do we know he WAS wearing pants?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 07:54:13 pm »
I think the Weaze is wise to say he'll go back...maybe he'll get the full story on why the brewer kicked back such a mean-spirited response. Bad day? Bad past experience with homebrewers? Or maybe The Weaze looks like some past boyfriend that stomped on her heart? Who knows.

At least going back and having a few pints may give an answer...just be sure to share it with us when you get one! ;) ( Hey, some of us don't have lives and depend on the Forum for fun...not me, but maybe some of us  ;D)
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA