Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 10 gal polarware as a mash tun....  (Read 2836 times)

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
10 gal polarware as a mash tun....
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:11:29 am »
Anyone use one?  I have one but I have only used it as a brew kettle.  There is a bout 1 gallon of water under the false bottom. 

If I want say to mash 14 pounds of grain at 1.33qt/pound of grain do I calculate water needed and then add an aditional gallon of water to ensure the proper consitency?  Seems pretty logical to me but I was wondering what every one else's thought was on this and also if there were others using this type of mash tun is this what you do.

Thanks,

Richie

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
Re: 10 gal polarware as a mash tun....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:34:07 am »
I have one with a false bottom.  Works great.

I would leave your mash water ratio the same and all the additional water (to account for the loss) in the sparge water.  Adding it directly to your mash water will increase your ratio and thin your mash out.  It probably won't make a world of difference, but if you are concerned about keeping your ratio true, add it to the sparge.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:52:13 am »
If I want say to mash 14 pounds of grain at 1.33qt/pound of grain do I calculate water needed and then add an aditional gallon of water to ensure the proper consitency?
This is what I do.  You can do it any way you like, but if you're trying to mash 8 lbs of grain @ 1.33 qt/gallon and 1 gallon is going to be under the false bottom it can cause you problems.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.