Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: JJ's Barleywine (NHC 2010) -- IBU Discrepancy  (Read 2502 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
JJ's Barleywine (NHC 2010) -- IBU Discrepancy
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:31:10 pm »
I was going to brew this today (a 3.5-gal version), but after plugging the original into Brewsmith, I'm hesitating until I understand this better and correct my recipe if need be.

Here's the original: http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/JJsBarleywine

The recipe on the AHA wiki says 75.4 IBUs. Beersmith calculates this recipe as 30.3 IBUs (even with slightly higher AAs).

(Plus my LHBS told me Carapils was a substitute for Carastan, but that's not right, according to several sites I've checked, so I'm heading back anyway for 30L crystal.)

Here's how it works out in Beersmith. Any help appreciated.

- kgs, who really wanted to brew today   :-[

Recipe: JJs Barleywine 12gal version
Style: English Barleywine

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 12.00 gal     
Boil Size: 14.01 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
12.00 lb      LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM)       Extract      34.29 %       
20.00 lb      Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM)     Grain        57.14 %       
1.00 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)     Grain        2.86 %       
4.00 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         19.4 IBU     
1.00 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (Dry Hop 7 days)        Hops          -           
1.00 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (30 min)            Hops         4.6 IBU       
1.00 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (15 min)                Hops         2.4 IBU       
1.00 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (15 min)            Hops         2.9 IBU       
1.00 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (5 min)                 Hops         1.0 IBU       
2.00 lb       Turbinado (10.0 SRM)                      Sugar        5.71 %       
1 Pkgs        Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter]                 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 21.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
45 min        Mash In            Add 26.25 qt of water at 170.5 F    158.0 F       
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: JJ's Barleywine (NHC 2010) -- IBU Discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:04:54 pm »
I just put it into Promash and I get 35 IBU using the Tinseth scale.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:06:14 pm »
The recipe in the wiki is using 6% AA glacier hops at 60 minutes instead of the 4.5% fuggles.  Also I suspect he's using the Rager formula, although I can't quite get to 75 IBU's with any of them.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:33:08 pm »
The recipe in the wiki is using 6% AA glacier hops at 60 minutes instead of the 4.5% fuggles.  Also I suspect he's using the Rager formula, although I can't quite get to 75 IBU's with any of them.

Oh yes, true re Glacier--forgot about that switch. LHBS recommended Fuggles as a sub for that, since they were out, but didn't mention the AA change. Though like you say the recipe can't get there from here.

Any advice? What would you folks do? I can make tomorrow my brew day -- the starter is done, and ye olde alewife has the house to herself both days. I can even push the barleywine to next week and brew something else this weekend, like another batch of oatmeal stout, though I was really looking forward to doing this when I'm Home Alone. 

Off to pick up the crystal they should have sold me in the first place and buy more Fuggles and Willamette...
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:33:44 pm »
I'd say just try to match AAUs...alpha acid units.  Multiply the AA of the original hops by the amount in weight.  Then do that in reverse to find out how much Fuggles/Willamettes to sub.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 03:11:15 pm »
I'd say just try to match AAUs...alpha acid units.  Multiply the AA of the original hops by the amount in weight.  Then do that in reverse to find out how much Fuggles/Willamettes to sub.

Thanks, Denny! I'll do that. And I've moved around my brew day so it's first thing tomorrow morning (that gives me all today to do the math ;-) ).

Edit: someone on Twitter commented that it looked like the hops were half what they should be for 12 gallons. I'm guessing that the slip was somewhere in the recipe conversion process.

Tempted to mash tonight, cool the wort with frozen bottles, and set the kettle out on the deck (covered, of course, with a grill cover over it too). Nah... early to bed, early to brew.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:45:44 pm by kgs »
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member