Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Green beer  (Read 3241 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Green beer
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:43:47 am »
13 years ago, when I started brewing, there were always loads of questions at this time of year about making green beer.  I consider it a sign of the increased sophistication of homebrewing that I haven't seen a single green beer comment on any of the 6 or so forums I frequent!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Green beer
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 10:45:26 am »
I think it's because everyone knows how to add food coloring now ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:02:33 am »
I think it's because everyone knows how to add food coloring now ;)

Not only that...but it would be like asking how to play "Go Fish" on a tournament poker forum.   ;D
Ron Price

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:59 am »
Oh, good.  A topic for me! 

Help!  Help!  All my beer's turning GREEN!!!

What do I do?!?!?   ;D

Someplace I follow on FB advertised that they're giving out green popcorn all day today in preparation for tomorrow.  I think it was a kid activity place (library, science museum, etc) so the thought came to mind of the mess that would make.  But you could clean it up by making a Green Popcorn Pils, ala Sun King.

Offline breslinp

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »
I'm a relatively new home brewer and I thought this thread was going to be about beer just put into a keg.  :D

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:50:20 pm »
Tomorrow's St. Pats Day and I've been so sick with the flu that I haven't had a beer for three days.  This quote keeps running through my brain:
In 1815, the black stuff received a most impressive unsolicited testimonial from a cavalry officer, wounded at the Battle of Waterloo. ‘When I was sufficiently recovered to be permitted to take some nourishment, I felt the most extraordinary desire for a glass of Guinness…’ he wrote in his diary. ‘Upon expressing my wish to the doctor, he told me I might take a small glass… and I shall never forget how much I enjoyed it. I am confident that it contributed more than anything else to the renewal of my strength.’

Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:43:52 pm »
Tomorrow's St. Pats Day and I've been so sick with the flu that I haven't had a beer for three days.  This quote keeps running through my brain:
In 1815, the black stuff received a most impressive unsolicited testimonial from a cavalry officer, wounded at the Battle of Waterloo. ‘When I was sufficiently recovered to be permitted to take some nourishment, I felt the most extraordinary desire for a glass of Guinness…’ he wrote in his diary. ‘Upon expressing my wish to the doctor, he told me I might take a small glass… and I shall never forget how much I enjoyed it. I am confident that it contributed more than anything else to the renewal of my strength.’

Go for it man!

It'll cure what ales you.  ;)
Ron Price

ccarlson

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:38:11 pm »
I remember when green beer was 10 cents a mug. Not only did you drink a lot of it, but you felt the same color the next day.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 12:08:57 am »
'I am confident that it contributed more than anything else to the renewal of my strength.’
Guinness for strength!

I just returned from the Wilde Rover where a had a fine pint or four of the black stuff.  Got a bit of an early start I guess. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 01:51:22 am »
'I am confident that it contributed more than anything else to the renewal of my strength.’
Guinness for strength!

I just returned from the Wilde Rover where a had a fine pint or four of the black stuff.  Got a bit of an early start I guess. ;D

It was possibly already St Patrick's Day in Ireland  ;D
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 01:52:48 am »
It was possibly already St Patrick's Day in Ireland  ;D
It definitely was :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:24:31 am »
I'm a relatively new home brewer and I thought this thread was going to be about beer just put into a keg.  :D

You are not alone. And, I happen to LIKE this kind of green beer, especially an IPA or APA..... the hops are still young and boisterous....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tallcall

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 08:48:22 am »
Isn't ALL BEER green beer today....  Happy St Patrick's Day

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 09:42:18 am »
A friend just called to tell me our favorite local liqour store just got in Redbreast 15 yr old Irish Whiskey. I've not had this before but the 12 yr old is outstanding. If I can make it by there on my way home that will be my evening dram.

No need of green beer (ever.... well except maybe for some Berliner Weisse with the woodruff syrup, though I usually like my Berliner Weisse without syrup)
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 11:08:02 am »
just remember is any of you wier dasses out there want green beer, you have to add blue food coloring ;)