Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: This Calls For a Beer!  (Read 10909 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
This Calls For a Beer!
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:19:05 am »
In this time of majorly weird Sheeit happening in the world, good things still happen too.

What triumphs have you achieved lately?

Me, I just submitted the final report on a two-year-long, very contentious project.  Man it felt good to click on that send button!

So, I'm raising a glass of 2011 Expedition Bigfoot...  Prost!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: This Calls For a Beer!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:15:35 am »
Well, in the spirit of shameless self-promotion that Drew exhibited earlier (;D), I got back my exam results from a tasting retake I took a few months back, and I got a Master level score.  Now I just need to bring my written up.

And this past weekend I was awarded the 2010 Golden Mash Paddle by the Washington Homebrewers Association.
The purpose of the Golden Mash Paddle is to recognize individuals who work to significantly advance the Washington homebrewing movement.  The nominees and recipients of this award go above and beyond the call of duty to pioneer movements at and beyond the club-level, benefiting the Washington homebrew scene.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:51:35 am »
...I got back my exam results from a tasting retake I took a few months back, and I got a Master level score...

And this past weekend I was awarded the 2010 Golden Mash Paddle by the Washington Homebrewers Association.

Well done Tom, on both accounts.  Congratulations!

Golden Mash Paddle...   hmmm...

"Thank you sir!  May I have another?"   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 01:54:21 am »
"Thank you sir!  May I have another?"   ;)
Thanks. :)  That wasn't part of the award, but maybe it should be for next year ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 02:27:31 am »
My major accomplishment so far this year is that I haven't dropped any of the balls I have in the air.....I drink to that....daily!
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 03:11:28 am »
I don't want to disclose financials, but this year my company's revenues are poised to double, and I'm signing the paperwork to take it multinational in April. Not trading on an exchange yet, but who knows ;-) I've had a LOT of work lately, both company-related and personally, but when I look back to where I was only five years ago:
  • broke, barely scraping by living paycheck to paycheck, thanksgiving five years ago was fried reconstituted dried mashed potato flakes with water
  • depressed, thinking of suicide
  • kicked out of college
  • only able to date cruel, manipulative women

and think about where I am now

• certainly not broke
  • don't give a f*ck about my college record ("We care for the human spirit MY @SS")
  • debts almost entirely paid off
  • married to a wonderful woman
  • Have a baby who's probably the smartest in the world:
    • he's feeding himself with a spoon!
    • almost walking!
    • he can say mama and dada!
    • he's only 8 1/2 months old!
  • etc...

Well, I think that calls for a beer. I don't usually take time to think about how much better and different things are now, mainly because it's so painful to think about how things used to be. But when I do think about it, I sure do thank God and count my blessings. And then I think maybe I should write a book ;-)

EDIT: Forgot to list in the positives, my hops are poking out of the ground! Operation Biergarten is a go!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:16:01 am by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 04:01:00 am »
I got a 3% raise out of the blue last week. And I'm poised to get 4% this summer. Regardless, still underpaid but grateful to have such a wonderful job. Remember much harder, leaner and desperate times. :-\

Phil that's great! Here's to you and family! /raise
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:01:49 am »
My major accomplishment so far this year is that I haven't dropped any of the balls I have in the air.....I drink to that....daily!

I get nervous when pilots start talking about things dropping from the air  ;D
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 05:26:52 am »
I am coordinating the first ever AHA/BJCP sponsored homebrew competition in the first state of Delaware. I am the judging director of "The Battle of the Brews" at The Delaware State Fair. Come one ...come all...registration begins on April 1st.

http://battleofthebrews.webs.com/

...and fingers crossed for the AHA GC election as I'm sure Tom's are as well.  8)
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 05:34:13 am »
I am coordinating the first ever AHA/BJCP sponsored homebrew competition in the first state of Delaware. I am the judging director of "The Battle of the Brews" at The Delaware State Fair. Come one ...come all...registration begins on April 1st.

...and fingers crossed for the AHA GC election as I'm sure Tom's are as well.  8)

Where is the second state of Delaware? Or is that Maryland?  ;)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:11:16 am »
My wife FINALLY ditched Navistar (after 15 years) and we're moving south instead of to Illinois.  She resigned on Monday and starts  April 11 at her new job.  So this down time before packing and unpacking might be the only chance to have a beer in the next couple months.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:17:54 am »
Got a LOT of praise yesterday after our new president's inauguration for the work my team and I have accomplished in the last 15 months in our small university library--and a big shout-out during the president's address where he committed $ to our humble abode. When I got there it was all kinds of fail... bad customer service, a facility that had been neglected for decades, etc. It wasn't just the big $ stuff (like the 1950s-era tables and chairs throughout the place, or basic lack of power and networking where it's needed, or a heating and cooling system that, well, isn't); it was the small stuff that really stood out, like broken bathroom exhaust fans (pee-u), sticking doors, messy paper signs everywhere, students who sat there texting when people had questions, and walls that hadn't been painted since 1956. Our website was a single embarrassing page, even though we have a really good selection of e-resources which of course no one knew about. 2/3 of our faculty (the adjuncts) were actively discouraged from using our library. 1/3 of the books were uncataloged. Our basic services (research help, instruction)... well, they were just plain bad. If you looked closely I swear the front door had a sign on it that said GO AWAY.

We're still on the journey, but I have a wonderful team (couple of remove-and-replaces if you know what I mean), and with a lot of imagination, heart, and dedication, we've turned this place around and keep on turning. The furniture is still old (2 weeks ago a table collapsed and bruised the shin of a student on the cross-country team... and no I didn't loosen the screws to make a point :-) ), the facility still inadequate, but we're remaking ourselves into the living room of the university and an essential service to our students and faculty, plus a center for celebrating literature and art, with events several times a month. And the bathroom exhaust fans work.

You can do a lot with paint, carpet, and good people. Like homebrewing, it ain't all about $. Though I will take the $!

I'll take a Pliny, please. Prost!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 07:32:06 am »

Where is the second state of Delaware? Or is that Maryland?  ;)

Good question.

I don't know the answer to that, but I can tell you that when you drive through Delaware on I-95, don't blink because you'll miss it. We are the second smallest state in the US next to Rhode Island.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 07:34:36 am »
"The Battle of the Brews" at The Delaware State Fair. Come one ...come all...registration begins on April 1st.

"come one...come all" as long as you're local, no shipping address  :-\
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:00 am »
"The Battle of the Brews" at The Delaware State Fair. Come one ...come all...registration begins on April 1st.

"come one...come all" as long as you're local, no shipping address  :-\

Joe...We are in the process of updating the website. It's open to everyone! You can ship to any of the dropoff locations listed.

Come one...come all!  8)
Ron Price