Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I broke my hydrometer...  (Read 6492 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
I broke my hydrometer...
« on: March 17, 2011, 06:42:21 am »
I left it in my drying rack by the sink and i went to put it away and it fell right out of my hand onto the floor.  I was pissed.  The new one's already been ordered, but i have a batch fermenting that should be done by sunday, so now I guess I have to rely on taste to determine if it's ready?
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: I broke my hydrometer...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 06:46:16 am »
are you a member of a home brew club? or do you have any homebrewing friends? maybe you can borrow one.

or simply just give it more time. leave it for another week, swirl it occasionally, raise the temp just a little bit. patience furthers, and remember.... it wants to be beer.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:01:06 am »
are you a member of a home brew club? or do you have any homebrewing friends? maybe you can borrow one.

or simply just give it more time. leave it for another week, swirl it occasionally, raise the temp just a little bit. patience furthers, and remember.... it wants to be beer.

I don't know if this is ideal process but the longer I homebrew (over 2 years now) the less I am inclined to mess with fermenting wort. The first few batches I measured almost every day. Now, unless I have a concern about what is or isn't happening; I measure at points along the brew session so I can learn from my brewing process, then one last time before I pitch yeast, and then I don't touch it until I think it's ready to bottle or I'm opening the fermenter anyway to dry-hop. I trust my eyes, the calendar, the recipe, and any associated knowledge related to the recipe.

My non-evidence-driven theory is that as much as possible I shouldn't be disturbing the cushion of CO2 on top f the beer which keeps the oxygen away. The only evidence is that my beer keeps getting better, which after 2 years is a good thing :-)

That said, why aren't there plastic hydrometers? Oh, and the best way to prevent a broken hydrometer is to buy a spare.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:14:09 am »
Oh, and the best way to prevent a broken hydrometer is to buy a spare.

This
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:16:09 am »
Whenever I'm down to one hydrometer I order 2 more because I know the one I have is doomed.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 07:16:24 am »
Unfortunately that will not be the last hydrometer you break.

Can you get away with letting it sit in the carboy a little longer? If you are worried about over fermenting you could crash cool it...
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:18:27 am »
After breaking three glass hydrometers in a year, I ponied up a little more $$ for a nalgene lab hydrometer. Haven't broken it in almost 4 years (KOW).

http://www.nalgenelabware.com/products/productDetail.asp?product_id=156&subcategory_id=150&category_id=150&brand_name=Labware&category_name=Hydrometers&subcategory_name=
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:24:51 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 07:39:32 am »
After breaking three glass hydrometers in a year, I ponied up a little more $$ for a nalgene lab hydrometer. Haven't broken it in almost 4 years (KOW).

http://www.nalgenelabware.com/products/productDetail.asp?product_id=156&subcategory_id=150&category_id=150&brand_name=Labware&category_name=Hydrometers&subcategory_name=

Bummer...

"Product 3630-1000 is obsolete and can no longer be purchased."
Joe

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 07:43:11 am »
I just noticed that. Looks like no one sells them anymore. Weird. I hope it's not because they weren't providing accurate readings!!  

Edit: I was able to find a few places that still sell nalgene hydrometers. Unfortunately, they've gotten even pricier than they were before, like $89+!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:14:07 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 09:02:58 am »
I left it in my drying rack by the sink and i went to put it away and it fell right out of my hand onto the floor.  I was pissed.  The new one's already been ordered, but i have a batch fermenting that should be done by sunday, so now I guess I have to rely on taste to determine if it's ready?

Don't worry about it. Let it ride. As Denny says 'the beer makes the schedule, not the calendar'.

and it's okay if the broken hydrometer makes the delays in the calendar. I regularly leave my beers for several weeks after fermentation is completely over just cause it takes me that long to get around to bottling. Wait till your new one arrives and take a reading then
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 09:11:57 am »
Wasn't gonna post but I still have my original and only hydrometer, 11 yrs old. Now I'm jinxed...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 10:20:23 am »
Wasn't gonna post but I still have my original and only hydrometer, 11 yrs old. Now I'm jinxed...

Yep, that wasn't wise.  Go buy another one now.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 11:05:21 am »
I do have a friend I could probably borrow a hydrometer from, if  I need it.  I wanted to dry hop this on sunday, I can still do that and wait for the hydrometer, right? 

Thanks for the input and advice.  I figure i'm bound to break several more.  I should have known based on my reputation with glass..
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 11:15:34 am »
Two separate issues
1.) is fermentation done?  Wait until you've got the hydrometer (or borrow one) and get your reading.  If you've reached your FG (whether determined by estimate or FFT), then you're ready to go to step 2.
2.)  Chill and clear the beer by putting the fermentor in the fridge (if possible).  After a few days, rack the bright beer off the yeast into another container (e.g., a corny keg) and dry hop. 

If you dry hop in the original fermentor, you risk the yeast adsorbing a lot of the hop resins/oils and they won't end up in your beer.

It also allows you to reuse your yeast cake (w/o hops affecting the flavor of the next batch).

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 02:08:45 pm »
If it's glass, I have two (minimum). Glass doesn't bounce.