Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anybody Read Mosher's Tasting Beer?  (Read 2911 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Anybody Read Mosher's Tasting Beer?
« on: March 13, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »
I picked this up today, my recent interest in judging made me think this would be an appropriate read.  I also have Evaluating Beer but its from 1993 and I wonder if its not a little dated.  Any reviews of either of these books?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Anybody Read Mosher's Tasting Beer?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:25:29 pm »
I loved Tasting Beer, I read it cover to cover.  Great book, but I like all of Randy's stuff.

I'm not sure I've read Evaluating Beer, I'll have to check.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline californiapete

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:57:51 pm »
Evaluating Beer isn't too badly dated. It's a mixed bag of articles from various sources, and while some of the information is very good, it just isn't a particularly enjoyable read.

Mosher's Tasting Beer, though, is an instant classic. If you're an experienced brewer and beer geek, then you might not find a whole lot you don't already know. Nonetheless, what John Palmer has done for brewing beer at home, Mosher has done for tasting and appreciating beer.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:54:27 am »
I do recall thinking Evaluating Beer was a little dry and definitely on the technical side.  Of course now I'll probably get more out of it.  It does have an impressive list of authors who wrote chapters.  Papazian, Fix, Meilgaard, and Seibel are names I recognize.

Tasting Beer seems like it has a nice mix of info.  I'm teaching a beer appreciation class at a local community college this fall, it would probably be a good textbook.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mrcceo

• Cellarman
  • Location - Philadelphia Area
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:31:54 am »
Well written, very informative.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:29:36 am »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 10:38:07 am »

Funny...been there done that.  8)
Ron Price

Offline spikedhelmet

• Retailers
  • 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:18:43 pm »
Just opened it today.  First dozen pages definitely convinced me to keep reading.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:27:25 pm »
I like it, and it's full of great information and advice. As a guide to what styles are like, which examples you might look out for, what to drink them in and some quirky humor, it's easily the best thing on the market at the moment.

Evaluating beer is a bit heavier - more the manual on what to look for when judging and how to hone some skills.

Both have merits, but Tasting Beer is more accessible. Of the two, Tasting Beer is the one to leave lying around so that your friends will pick it up and start getting more interested in different styles and begin to understand why you keeping saying 'it's pretty good, but it isn't to style'....
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 08:18:31 am »
I've got it, but it's in queue in the nightstand bookshelf along with Yeast and Wild Brews.  Almost done with Farmhouse Ales. 

If only I could read faster like my wife (who can easily finish 200+page paperbacks in a couple nights)...

Good to hear positive reviews though.  Looking forward to reading it.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:33:51 am »
Just opened it today.  First dozen pages definitely convinced me to keep reading.

I'm close to that, still in the history section.  He's got some great tidbits and perspectives that are making it quite an enjoyable read.  I skipped ahead and read the couple of pages on how to judge, it was conventional advice that I think is found in the BJCP literature.  I'm savoring the rest of the book, if it lasts me until Strong's BBB comes out in April that would be just fine.  Though I should reread Evaluating Beer now that I'm actually doing some evaluating of beer.

Ryan you'll get a lot of good info from Yeast.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO