Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Texas Beers  (Read 2021 times)

Offline theomb

• 1st Kit
Texas Beers
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:35:25 am »
So I was in San Antonio on business, and our conference was held at the Hyatt Regency on the Riverwalk.  In the hotel, they have a bar called Q (for barbecue, folks  ;) ) that has an extensive selection of craft brews, many of them local.  My goal?  To try every single one of 'em while I was there.  Here's a list of what I had:

Saint Arnold Elissa
Saint Arnold Stout
Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower
Saint Arnold Amber
Saint Arnold Brown
Shiner Bock
RealAle Fireman's #4
RealAle Brewhouse Brown Ale
RealAle Full Moon Rye Pale Ale
RealAle Oktoberfest
Alamo Golden Ale
Independence's Stash IPA
Independence's Bootlegger Brown Ale

The only beers I didn't get to were the Rahr & Sons beers.  Pretty disappointed that I didn't get to try them, but this was a difficult task if you saw the size of this fridge!  I'm sure I'm missing a few (after that many beers, who could blame me?  ;D ), but how fortunate was it that my conference was held at the one place on the Riverwalk that had excellent local craft beer?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Texas Beers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:10:30 am »
not bad for a few hours work ;D
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 12:20:08 pm »
There's few on there that I haven't had. I drink a fair bit of Real Ale- did I mention that it tastes like homebrew to me? LOL I like their Full Moon Rye Pale Ale a lot.

Hope you enjoyed SA and our freakishly early spring.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 01:06:09 pm »
Some years back we were in SA.  The Riverwalk was not a beer destination.  On the last day we found a place with one of the Shiner special beers (the 98?),  and were glad to have that.  Looks like it is better now, or we missed that one somehow back then.

My BIL found us a good place for Barbeque in SA.  For some good 'Q' I have always been a fan of Lockhart TX.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 02:35:32 pm »
Some years back we were in SA.  The Riverwalk was not a beer destination.  On the last day we found a place with one of the Shiner special beers (the 98?),  and were glad to have that.  Looks like it is better now, or we missed that one somehow back then.

I didn't find that either, but it's been many years.  We did go to the Lone Star Brewery Horns, Fins, Feathers and Oddities Museum (I forget the real name).  That was a strange place.  They evidently moved the whole thing from the old brewery to downtown a while back.
The beer scene sounds much better now.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline theomb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:54:15 am »
There's few on there that I haven't had. I drink a fair bit of Real Ale- did I mention that it tastes like homebrew to me? LOL I like their Full Moon Rye Pale Ale a lot.

Hope you enjoyed SA and our freakishly early spring.

I very much enjoyed the weather!  The Full Moon Rye Pale Ale was excellent.  Funny thing?  It was my last beer of the night on Friday, and I had to stop drinking it because I was getting too tipsy.  Shame, really.   ;D

All of you guys are right, though...the Riverwalk is still not a good beer spot.  I was lucky to find Shiner or Alamo when I was walking around.  But that one bar, Q, in the Hyatt Regency was on-point.  If ever down at the Riverwalk, I highly suggest it.  It wasn't just Texas beers they had, either.  They had some other excellent beers in 750mL bottles (Delirium, for one) that I have had before, so I didn't bother.

Eat local, drink local...always a fun way to live.  ;)

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 04:58:32 pm »
To bad you didn't get to check out Freetail brewing in San Antonio.  They are a 20 mile cab ride from the riverwalk (that's $50) but well worth it.  There was another brewery Blue Star within walking distance of the riverwalk (about a mile or 2) that had decent beer but they were out of 4 different beers when I went there.

I'm surprised you found that many beers on the riverwalk!