Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recent Earthquakes caused by Experimentation?  (Read 8200 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Recent Earthquakes caused by Experimentation?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 10:59:37 am »
On Bootsy Collins' Facebook page he recently mentioned recording with Sly Stone soon.  Maybe the cause is the Space Bass is getting tuned up?

Ahh yes...the space bass!  ;D

Eeeeeeh, watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful, paralyzing, pointing, pachydermous, percussion pitch.

Bugs Bunny
Ron Price

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 11:28:48 am »

Oh, and for all those conspiracy theorists:  Hindsight is 20/20.  Tell us exactly when it's going to happen BEFORE it happens.

Hindsight is looking at historic events.  Being able to tell about an event BEFORE it happens is FOREsight.  (grammar police at your service).

I think my grammar worked.  What I intended to say is that conspiracy theorists and climate change (formerly known as global warming) advocates are quick to point to past events as evidence to support their theories.  However, they lack any ability to predict that these events will definitely occur in the future at a certain time under certain circumstances.

It all boils down to a very powerful statement by the SEC:  Past performance does not necessarily predict future returns, but it may give you an indication of volatility.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 11:30:56 am »
If this guy says it's so, it must be!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:30:20 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 11:54:52 am »

Oh, and for all those conspiracy theorists:  Hindsight is 20/20.  Tell us exactly when it's going to happen BEFORE it happens.

Hindsight is looking at historic events.  Being able to tell about an event BEFORE it happens is FOREsight.  (grammar police at your service).

I think my grammar worked.  What I intended to say is that conspiracy theorists and climate change (formerly known as global warming) advocates are quick to point to past events as evidence to support their theories.  However, they lack any ability to predict that these events will definitely occur in the future at a certain time under certain circumstances.

It all boils down to a very powerful statement by the SEC:  Past performance does not necessarily predict future returns, but it may give you an indication of volatility.
Well, history does tend to repeat itself.
Jesse

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 12:06:52 pm »
I personally equate the global warming advocates with ecological agenda minded folks more
than conspiracy theorists. I see how perhaps there is a grey area but reserve the right to maintain the
thought pattern that consipracy theorists are somehow a different breed.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 01:00:53 pm »
I personally equate the global warming advocates with ecological agenda minded folks more
than conspiracy theorists. I see how perhaps there is a grey area but reserve the right to maintain the

I've been warned by the administrator not to write about this topic,  Meteorology and hydrology are fields I have been trained in and practice in.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 02:31:56 pm »

It might be the scientist in me, but I always fall back on the premise that real science is about observation and prediction.  In most of these discussions you rarely see the words "hypothesis" and "theory".  Everybody has data and statistics, but very few can leverage those things to build a predictable model.

Meteorologists and geologists have very challenging issues with predictability in their respective fields.  The systems they observe are so fantastically dynamic that it's very challenging to collect enough data to build a predictable model.

I guess since this thread had a mention of geology, conspiracy theorists, and humans being able to acutely affect nature that I lumped them all together.  I was trying more to demonstrate that these folks are quick to point fingers but lack any ability to predict.  So when they say a giant hornking magnet created earthquakes that happened in the past, then it should be assumed that they could predict the same result each time.  Unfortunately, that's not usually the case.

Oh, and I didn't know the admins were silencing the meteorologists on the boards!  :)  I guess I won't say anything more.   ;D  It's probably a conspiracy!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:43:01 pm by Tim McManus »
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 02:52:11 pm »
Oh, and I didn't know the admins were silencing the meteorologists on the boards!  :)

Only if it's leading to a political discussion.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 03:00:55 pm »
HAARP is too busy with weather modification and poisoning the midwest with chemtrails to bother with inducing earthquakes...

Offline elauren

• 1st Kit
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 08:18:40 pm »
I have also read of this news in one of the search engines and it would be hard to move and make me believe of such accusations.  I mean, yes you could provide evidences that it could be caused by such but i do believe that more powerful forces are at work here and not just some radio waves you captured on video.