Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hop - where?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Dry Hop - where?
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:17:27 am »
Okay, I think I've finally come over to the dark side in the secondary or not debate and put them away - haven't done a secondary since some time last year.  In all the various discussions, though, one of the exceptions to the "don't bother with a secondary" thing is the case of dry hopping.  Do folks really feel an exception should be made?  I'm leaning towards just adding the dry hops to the primary (probably Sunday as it'll have been fermenting a week) and let it go on from there.  Or should I dig the secondary out and go for that?
Joe

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Dry Hop - where?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:26:22 am »
When I dry hopped in the Primary I did it at the end of week 2 for the length of week 3. No complaints here!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:58:41 am »
Bader Beer & Wine Supply (baderbrewing.com) recommends dry hopping their Citra IPA on day 4 in the primary and racking "to secondary approximately day 10 to 14." I tried it and liked the result. Your mileage may vary.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline classic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:06:05 am »
I personally don't see the advantage of moving to a secondary for dry hopping unless you plan on reusing the yeast or the beer's been on it for more than 3 weeks or so.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:20:01 am by classic »

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:15:22 am »
I do it in the secondary I guess, in a keg (not the serving keg).

Hop oils and yeast have an affinity for each other so it stands to reason that if you dry hop in the primary you might need to use more hops to get as much oil in solution.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 11:45:54 am »
I am now dry hopping in the keg as a secondary and serving from it.  I am not finding any problems.  Nice flavors.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:39:58 pm »
The only issue I see with dry hopping in the primary is timing.  I would think that you would want the yeast activitly to be finished so that the off gassing CO2 would not diminish the aromatic compounds available to go into solution.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:44:47 pm »
The only issue I see with dry hopping in the primary is timing.  I would think that you would want the yeast activitly to be finished so that the off gassing CO2 would not diminish the aromatic compounds available to go into solution.

Yeah, that's the plan.  At the same time as when, in the old days, I would have been racking to secondary on top of the hops, instead, I'd just be adding the hops to the primary - no difference in timing.
Joe

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:38:31 pm »
Pellets?  I guess I am with redbeerman....once all the yeast have dropped why not. 
Especially if it is a major chore to transfer.

My system, which involves about 3-4 oz of whole hops mashed up to the top of the carboy for soaking...
no way I would NOT skip the nasty krausen laden primary.

I am headed to the keg for the soak now, but have always liked the secondary dry hop.

Either way, FKNA, Cheers to the dry hop.   8)

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:06:39 am »
You, sir (or madam), are making me thirsty.  That looks scrumptuous.

I've dry hopped like this, but it seems that the hops on the top of the pile, and really even the ones that are in contact with the wort but not submerged, are not contributing to the beer, or are only partially contributing.  After a couple weeks of dry-hopping with whole flowers, I usually cave and use a carboy brush to shove the flowers down and get everything soaked.  Then I drink a beer.

What say you?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 07:01:37 pm »
I used to think the same thing. The hops on top did not appear to be getting soaked and I thought they were probably not contributing much. But then my APA won 1st place last year in the Midwest NHC regional. And this year it garnered 1st place in the Drunk Monk Challenege, as well as 3rd place BOS there. I, and a few judges, think it has a great aroma. I'm not bragging at all. Competitions are quite subjective. Just sayin' that whole hops don't need to be dragged down into the secondary completely submeged to do their thing! And these were homegrown hops. Oh the joy of homebrewing!!

so what i mean is, yes secondary with the dry hops. transfer off the primary after 14+ days. purge your secondary vessel with CO2
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:27:51 am by rbclay »
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:56:52 pm »
Dry Hop in the serving keg after 2-3 weeks in primary.  Only secondary is when putting on fruit.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC