Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Youtube Video of Starter -- With Dry Yeast?  (Read 6747 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Youtube Video of Starter -- With Dry Yeast?
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:22:10 am »
I enjoyed the Youtube video on the AHA main page about making yeast starters -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMQ1L9iVvz4 -- but the procedure demonstrated uses dry yeast. I didn't think making starters with dry yeast was necessary or recommended.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Youtube Video of Starter -- With Dry Yeast?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:34:21 am »
You're right. Dry yeast and starters are an unnecessary combination, but the video is well done and gets the point across.

For me you replace 2 things at the end and you effectively have how I always used to do my starters before pressure canning.

Namely, liquid yeast and no rutting airlock. The foil is fine and you get better growth!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:57:18 am »
You're right. Dry yeast and starters are an unnecessary combination, but the video is well done and gets the point across.

For me you replace 2 things at the end and you effectively have how I always used to do my starters before pressure canning.

Namely, liquid yeast and no rutting airlock. The foil is fine and you get better growth!

I'm going to do foil the next time. I am still using airlocks (I don't know why).

But it's a well-made video!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:00:04 am »
or a plastic baggy
Brew on

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:08:23 am »
Very familiar.

That could have been me in that video except the dry yeast and airlock also.

That's even the way I mix starsan and sanitize everything with a spray bottle.

Eerie.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:12:08 am »
But it's a well-made video!

Indeed and anyone who follows the instructions in the video will be well served. I'd just tweak a few things cause I'm cranky that way. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:49:16 pm »
I like the table.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 06:40:06 pm »
I like the table.

And the brick wall.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 05:52:31 am »
Very familiar.

That could have been me in that video except the dry yeast and airlock also.

That's even the way I mix starsan and sanitize everything with a spray bottle.

Eerie.

and the goggles?

The flask would be new for me, but it's an affordable process change. I am using a small saucepan and a 1-gallon jar. I also spritz.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 07:26:20 am »
i use 1qt canning jars and just leave the lid loose on the top works fine especially for smaller batch beers when i don't need large volmes.  not necessary with dry yeast to make a starter but you can spread out a package that way (if you are very careful) over several batches.  i will do the same with whte labs yeast, make a starter out of half the tube, then store the other half.
Don AHA member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:17:39 am »
.  not necessary with dry yeast to make a starter but you can spread out a package that way (if you are very careful) over several batches. 

would you split up the dry yeast? I'm considering a scale that could do that kind of measurement anyway.

I assume the point of the flask is to keep the sanitation chain of custody as limited as possible, reducing contamination points at a particularly crucial stage in the brewing process. though there may be an element of geek factor.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:21:03 pm »
I assume the point of the flask is to keep the sanitation chain of custody as limited as possible, reducing contamination points at a particularly crucial stage in the brewing process. though there may be an element of geek factor.

As I understand it, the real point of the flask is to insure that you've got a flat enough bottom for a stir bar/stir plate combo to work smoothly.  Regular jars, jugs, and whatnot may not have a flat enough bottom.

And yes, there is the geek factor too :)
Joe

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »

As I understand it, the real point of the flask is to insure that you've got a flat enough bottom for a stir bar/stir plate combo to work smoothly.  Regular jars, jugs, and whatnot may not have a flat enough bottom.

And yes, there is the geek factor too :)
You can boil and cool in the flask. It makes for less transfers and exposure to possible contamination. Boiling in the flask also means sanitizing it ahead of time is unnecessary.
Mark Gres

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 05:51:21 pm »

I disagree, Drew.  The purpose of the video is to promote what we all know is a poor brewing practice...making a starter with dry yeast.  I've emailed the powers that be asking them to remove it.  Cranky?  Perhaps. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 05:52:11 pm »

I disagree, Drew.  The purpose of the video is to promote what we all know is a poor brewing practice...making a starter with dry yeast.  I've emailed the powers that be asking them to remove it.  Cranky?  Perhaps.  
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell