Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PID Controller help, will this work for gas burners?  (Read 4252 times)

Offline scouser

• 1st Kit
PID Controller help, will this work for gas burners?
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:03:45 pm »
I need a little help.  I have access to:
http://www.gesintsrl.it/docs/TLK38i.pdf
http://www.t-uk.co.uk/docs/MK38ENG06.pdf

I do not know a lot about this but it looks like I can use these with a type j themo to switch honeywell valves on gas burners.  Can someone, anyone confirm this?
If so what is an appropriate temp probe?  I have read the resistence on the wiring does not matter, aka, you can use a long run of wire no problem is this really true?
And lastly has anyone tried a PID for gas burners?  I see most are used on electric elements, and a regular relay controller used for gas, any reason for this?  If just finer control I am not worried about that just want these to act like LOVE controlers etc.

I appreicate the help want to make sure this is good before buying the parts and testing it.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: PID Controller help, will this work for gas burners?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:20:19 am »
scouser, the short answer is yes, it will "work" BUT you need to carefully acquire the correct components AND connect them correctly.

You may know this, but . . . From your description, its not clear if have a gas valve that is modulating or a shutoff. A modulating valve would require an input signal (4-20 mA is most common but not unique). A shutoff would require use of the relay outputs to energize/de-energize for controlling the temperature. Both controllers seem to have both types of control, so order and configure to your setup.

You asked about what type of probe to use. The thermocouple you mentioned is the actual probe. Regardless of what type of probe you use make sure the controller hardware (I/O card) is the same type. The instructions don't mention it, but also do NOT connect the thermocouple to the controller using regular wire. Thermocouples require "thermocouple extension" cable. They are color coded to help avoid errors, make sure both wires in the cable are the same as the thermocouple's.

IMO, this will work best if you get the temperature measurement measurement inside the mashtun. And since you are going to some effort here . . .

I may have got off-topic, but hope this helps.

Roger
Roger