Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Electric hot water tank  (Read 1998 times)

Offline jkmarvin

• 1st Kit
Electric hot water tank
« on: March 24, 2011, 11:14:10 pm »
Finishing up my hot water tank for my keggle all grain system.  I was wondering what I would need to have if I was to have an electric hot liquor tank.  Is it more economical than propane?  How much wattage/voltage would I need?  Would it just take for ever to heat the water with a copper manifold?  Also what would the cost be?  I am not interested in a herms system just want to heat the water for a mash in and sparge.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Electric hot water tank
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:26:39 am »
I can't tell you if it's any more economical than propane, but for me, it's more convenient to use this http://www.amazon.com/Marshalltown-742G-Bucket-Water-Heater/dp/B000BDB4UG/ref=pd_cp_hi_0. I hook it up to a heavy-duty timer the night before I brew and have it come on a couple hours before I wake up. Then by the time I finish my coffee, my water is at strike temp. If you really want to get fancy, you could hook it up to a temp controller and have it heat to a desired temperature.
Mark Gres

Offline Crispy275

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:46:15 am »
I use the same sort of horse trough water heater. I fill my mash tun keggle with 15 gallons the night before and I also make sure to have the March pump left open so that when the timer goes off, it automatically recirculates. I find this helps maintain an even temperature, and with a five hour heat up, I achieve 15 gallons of 170oF water. I transfer whatever i don't need iover to the HLT. This typically drops the temp in the HLT from 170o to 130o because my setup is in a cold garage, but that beats starting at tap water temperature.
Chris P. Frey, aka "Crispy"
Mountain Ale & Lager Tasters MALT)
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG)
Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen (FORD)

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:49:49 am »
Same except I hook it up to a thermostat. It takes about 3 hours to heat up the water.
Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:58:12 am »
I got this trick from Crispy.  It works great.

You can calculate the propane vs electric if you know your charge for a kilowatt hour and the price of propane per pound. If the 1 kW heater is on for x hours, that is easy to figure.  If you know what you paid for a propane fill by the pound, you could put the tank on a scale and see how many pounds it takes to heat the water to the same temp.  Then that is also easy to fugure.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jkmarvin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:43:06 am »
Thanks guys.  That really helped a lot