Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I hate going to the LHBS...  (Read 4681 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: I hate going to the LHBS...
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 11:09:50 am »
So what you're telling me is one temp controller won't keep the freezer at a constant 62 degrees?  You're keeping yours in your garage by the looks of it, though, so I can understand the heating part.  But if my freezer is inside my house, why wouldn't one temp controller do the trick?
As long as your house is always above 62F (or whatever temp you want to keep it), you only need one temperature controller.  But some of these crazy people let their houses get down into the 50s for the winter.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 11:30:36 am »
So what you're telling me is one temp controller won't keep the freezer at a constant 62 degrees?  You're keeping yours in your garage by the looks of it, though, so I can understand the heating part.  But if my freezer is inside my house, why wouldn't one temp controller do the trick?
As long as your house is always above 62F (or whatever temp you want to keep it), you only need one temperature controller.  But some of these crazy people let their houses get down into the 50s for the winter.
Yeesh, thank you for easing my mind.  I was having second thoughts about buying a chest freezer for temp control.  Silly me.  I don't let the house ever get below ale temps.  I fermented many of my ales in the basement this winter and the ambient temp was somewhere around 57, which produce some nice clean beers.  Fermentation was never too vigorous, but the beers turned out great and didn't over attenuate.
But as I may not have mentioned, I'm moving to a new place in August where there isn't central air and no basement.  So I'll need to be taking control of my fermentation temperatures.
Jesse

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 04:37:28 pm »
No central air and no basement? Egads, man!  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 04:41:03 am »
And my wife was no help at all standing next to me cheering me on going "do you need one of these? what about this? ohhhh look at that!"

Sorry, am I reading this right?  She's encouraging you to get more stuff?  I have the opposite problem.  Why did you buy...?  Do you really need....?  How much did you spend...?

I just got the green light to buy a third chest freezer for lagering. The key is to keep beer on tap she likes (Stouts and fruit flavored wheat beers). I had to explain that lagering requires colder temperatures than we need for our serving fridge. She said OK. This will be the fourth beer related fridge/freezer for my brewing hobby (addiction). I have an old freebie upright fridge for fermenting ales, a small chest freezer used to ferment lagers in a sanke keg, and a chest freezer currently used for lagering and serving soon to be just serving.
Concord, NC