Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Not Flowing From the Keg  (Read 33286 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Beer Not Flowing From the Keg
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »
So I tried to tap the brew I force carbed a few days ago and I got absolutely nothing flowing from the tap.  I had started with a 15'  of 3/16" line with the intention of working my way down to whatever worked best.  When I initially connected the disconnect a little bit of beer jumped into the line but after that nothing.

I took off a foot or two in succession until I got down to 7' then I figured something was definitely not right.  I attached fittings to a 3' length of tubing and tried that and again nothing.  I attached that same 3' section to the other keg that's been carbonating and beer came spurting out.

The beer I'm having problems with is an ESB that I have at about 8 PSI at 39F.  I force carbed by rocking several times during the first 10 hours or so of being connected to the gas.  I tried upping the pressure all the way up to 30 psi and still nothing.  There's definitely gas flowing into the keg, just no beer flowing out.

The only thing I can think of is that the dip tube is clogged.  I'm hesitant to open the keg up and screw around with the dip tube but I'm not sure what else to do.  Should I try upping the pressure to something higher to see if I can blow out whatever might be in the dip tube?  Anyone have any suggestions?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Beer Not Flowing From the Keg
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:00:16 pm »
Use the relief valve to dump the pressure.  Wait, and then dump more as the CO2 comes out of the beer.  Repeat.

Now take the out side post off, and pull the dip tube out.  Clean both, and pay attention to the out side poppet, it may be clogged with hop particles and spooge.

If it works for a while and stops, repeat the procedure.

How do I know this?  Let us just say...
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tallcall

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:03:14 pm »
I would bleed off the pressure remove the balllock and diptube check for any blockage, sanitize the parts and put back together. Then try tapping it again. Just make sure you bleed off all the pressure before you remove the parts, gets real messy if you don't.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 08:11:54 pm »
What would be in there that it would be clogged?  Did you dry hop?  You don't even have to take the keg apart if you don't want to.  Release the pressure with the bleed valve.  Increase the pressure a couple of volumes and then hook the gas up to the out poppet on the keg. This should blow whatever is in the way out of the tube.  Unfortunately, it will stir up your beer a bit and you may have to let it settle out a bit again.  The other concern is: Are you sure your temp is at 39F?  I have heard of people thinking there temp is warmer than it actually is and then come to find out that they have frozen their keg.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:27:29 pm »
I have had too many whole hop parts blcok the flow when I was sloppy on racking into the keg.  The hops parts go with the flow, and clog the poppet.

One other thing to check is the beer out fitting.  I had boiught one without the little pintle (for lack of a better term) that forces the poppet down.  No beer flows if that part is not in the beer out fitting.  A sad but true story.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 08:41:43 pm »
My bet is on a clogged dip tube.

As tallcall has posted, try removing the dip tube and inspect for blockage then sanitize and reassemle. I had a hop bag that worked it's way up the diptube before. It completely clogged the dip tube. Fortunately I was able to retrieve the bag from the inside of the keg by gently pulling it out of the dip tube with a long handled spoon.
Ron Price

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:51:20 pm »
One other thing to check is the beer out fitting.  I had boiught one without the little pintle (for lack of a better term) that forces the poppet down.  No beer flows if that part is not in the beer out fitting.  A sad but true story.

I was going to suggest that but saw that he tried it on another keg and it worked.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:35:29 pm »
I froze a keg once. The symptoms were similar. I also have had clogged tubes, posts and QD's and the symptoms were also much like tygo is experiencing. Break it down and trouble shoot.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:43:25 am »
Use the relief valve to dump the pressure.  Wait, and then dump more as the CO2 comes out of the beer.  Repeat.

Now take the out side post off, and pull the dip tube out.  Clean both, and pay attention to the out side poppet, it may be clogged with hop particles and spooge.

If it works for a while and stops, repeat the procedure.

This is what I did.  About five times until the dip tube was clear.  I had dry hopped with pellet hops in the primary and some of that gunk made it into the keg.  Thanks for the advice.  I got it flowing but I'm going to let it settle down another 24 hours before I attempt to do anything else with it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 07:37:55 pm »
Drinking a few of these tonight.  There's still a few hop particles floating around but pretty good head with a 10' line.  The clarity is improving with each one I draw.  After last night's debacle I'm having a pleasant experience tonight.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:12 pm »
Drinking a few of these tonight.  There's still a few hop particles floating around but pretty good head with a 10' line.  The clarity is improving with each one I draw.  After last night's debacle I'm having a pleasant experience tonight.

Important question is, are they green?
Joe

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:55:43 pm »
I love a happy ending.  The next time you dry hop without pellets, try one of these on the outpost to keep it from getting clogged:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/catalogsearch/result/?q=surescreen

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 08:03:40 pm »

Way to go tygo!

Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 12:47:39 am »
Without a doubt kegging right away got me in this thing feet first. Easy to lose track sometimes without bottles by the sink...

You'll start knocking on those kegs to see how full thy are. See? Now it's just maintenance.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 06:14:52 pm »
For future reference..... you can always mount a black connector (liquid) to a CO2 line and put the gas in through the "out" line to blow it clean.......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....