Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why go all grain?  (Read 11386 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
Re: Why go all grain?
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 07:25:01 pm »
Just to add to all the good reasons posted, an all-grain batch can take 6+ hours, but it doesn't have to.

If you plan ahead you can reduce the length of your brew day by getting your grain bill weighed out and ground the night before and your water ready (takes about 45-60 minutes of prep depending on how many beers you drink during prep).  You can chop off 30-45 minutes heating water especially if you get yourself a bucket heater (or in your case maybe mroe than one) and timer.  Your water can be ready to go when you roll out of bed and you can mash in immediately.  60 Minute Mash, 30-45 minutes to batch sparge and get the to a boil, 60 minute boil and 15-20 minute cool down with a quality chiller.  You can knock out an all grain batch in 3.5 to 4 hours for a 6 gallon batch with clean up, wort oxygenated and pitched once you have your process down.

With the large batches you brew, there are things that may take you longer, but pretty much only adding a minimal amount of time to your process at a huge savings!  I brewed a 6 gallon batch of 1.045 American Lager last year for $8.30!

How long does it take you to heat up all that water for a 25 gallon brew day?

Even if you don't decide to go all-grain there are still things you can do to shave time from your brew day.
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline dnva75

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 09:41:25 pm »
Thanks again for all the tips. I posted last night but it appears that a bunch of stuff from then was dropped off for some reason.

I like the idea of going with 2 70 gallon coolers for the large batches.  That would give me a lot of flexibility. Never thought about splitting up the mash tun.  I also have a 48 quart cooler that I may build a manifold for and give it a shot for my next 12 gallon batch.  Was thinking a heffe would be good in June/July:-)  That may be a candidate for my first go at all grain. 

As to the question of time.  My brew days usually run about 5 hours. From breaking out the equipment to cleaning up.  I have 2 Blichmann burners and surprisingly, it doesn't take much longer to heat up a 24 gallon batch over a 12.  hauling the water is a different story:-)

All the feedback on here has given me a lot of perspective and convinced me that it is at least worth a try.  I can always go back.

Thanks 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 06:34:56 am »
Tristan - I have been using the bucket heater with the heavy duty timer, and that is one thing that I really like.  Get out of bed and you are ready to mash in. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 09:05:40 am »
All the feedback on here has given me a lot of perspective and convinced me that it is at least worth a try.  I can always go back.

Thanks 

Check out the Cheap'n'Easy system...www.dennybrew.com .
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 03:47:03 pm »
...Because, it'll put hair on your chest, give you Paul Bunyan muscles & make you a big hit with the ladies.
 :D

Seriously, though...I think my beer tastes better, my wife likes 'em more, my friends like them more...
I have a wider range of flavors & characters to create (vast amount of grains to choose from)...
I'm able to just make more intricate choices on flavor, body & the whole experience.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 03:59:31 pm »
I did my first two all grain batches recently and I haven't even tasted them yet and I'm itching to do more.  The mashing process etc., is addictive, at least for now.  If I had more fermenters, I'd have more beer in process and I certainly never felt this way about extracts.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 04:20:53 pm »
Answer this:

Why extract brew? Just go buy some already made by a professional brewery and save all kinds of time and trouble.

When you can answer that then you will have your answer to why extract brewers convert over to all grain, little Grasshopper.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 04:26:27 pm »
Answer this:

Why extract brew? Just go buy some already made by a professional brewery and save all kinds of time and trouble.

When you can answer that then you will have your answer to why extract brewers convert over to all grain, little Grasshopper.

Do I still have to snatch the pebble from your hand Master?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 04:43:33 pm »
Answer this:

Do I still have to snatch the pebble from your hand Master?

When you can snatch the hop pellet from my hand, my Son, then you will be ready.

Or afford a Barley Crusher, which ever comes first ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 07:13:37 pm »
It's not Grasshopper, it's Malthopper.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline punatic

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:42 am »
It's not Grasshopper, it's Malthopper.

Mmmm... Methinks in that case it may be Hophopper.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 09:30:21 am »
Answer this:

Well, Mr. T, I'ma gonna have to disagree.  Extract brewing is still doing at least part of it yourself and giving you some control over the procedure, as well as the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.  Of course, AG takes that a step further, but I can recall how proud my friends and I were of the extract beers we made and how well many of them turned out.  Maybe some of you "AG only" guys need to go back and make an extract batch again and challenge yourselves to see how well you can do it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 10:32:58 am »
My next brew will be extract with specialty grains.  It's a scottish 70/- that will serve as a starter for the wee heavy that's up after it.  It's the first extract beer I'm brewing since I went all grain and I'm actually kind of excited about it. 
Clint
Wort Hogs