Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why go all grain?  (Read 11433 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Why go all grain?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 11:06:56 am »
A year or so ago I had to develop an extract version of my Waldo Lake amber recipe for NB to make into a kit.  It actually turned out really close to the AG version and was totally fun to make.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 01:13:10 pm »
Answer this:

Why extract brew? Just go buy some already made by a professional brewery and save all kinds of time and trouble.

Maybe some of you "AG only" guys need to go back and make an extract batch again and challenge yourselves to see how well you can do it.

'Tis not a bad call, Mr. Conn.  I might try that for s hits & giggles.  I haven't brewed an extract batch for 2 1/2 years or thereabouts. 
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 02:14:48 pm »
I found that if you apply the knowledge you've gained through AG (proper yeast amounts and fermentation temps, subbing some sugar for extract, etc.) you can make extract beers remarkably better than you did when you were a beginner.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 02:40:50 pm »
I found that if you apply the knowledge you've gained through AG (proper yeast amounts and fermentation temps, subbing some sugar for extract, etc.) you can make extract beers remarkably better than you did when you were a beginner.

No doubt about it.  In addition to the temps and pitching rates, AG makes you learn about specialty grains.  When you apply that info with a light DME you can make excellent beer.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 03:40:10 pm »
Answer this:

Why extract brew? Just go buy some already made by a professional brewery and save all kinds of time and trouble.

Well, Mr. T, I'ma gonna have to disagree.  Extract brewing is still doing at least part of it yourself and giving you some control over the procedure, as well as the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.  Of course, AG takes that a step further, but I can recall how proud my friends and I were of the extract beers we made and how well many of them turned out.  Maybe some of you "AG only" guys need to go back and make an extract batch again and challenge yourselves to see how well you can do it.

That's actually the point I was trying to make, albeit poorly done :-[

My answer to "why extract brew" is the control, cost, satisfaction, etc... and everything good everybody else has submitted.

Once that is answered in your mind and all the benefits are rationalized, then the OP has the answer to his question "Why go all grain?"  More of the same just up a notch.

"Just go buy some already made by a professional brewery and save all kinds of time and trouble." was just a smarta$$ way of saying think about why you had rather brew than buy.

<slip back under the rock>
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 04:25:36 pm »
That's actually the point I was trying to make, albeit poorly done :-[

Well, then....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 05:06:14 pm »
When I went all grain I promised myself not to look down on extract brewing. It's about the people doing it, brewing it and sipping it and having fun. If it was strictly about the beer I would be employing MUCH more serious guerilla tactics.  ;D
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 05:24:24 pm »
When I went all grain I promised myself not to look down on extract brewing.  It's about the people doing it, brewing it and sipping it and having fun.
So you're not looking down on extract brewing, just the people doing it? ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:09 pm »
When I went all grain I promised myself not to look down on extract brewing.

You can see people extract brewing from 35,000ft up?!  Man, I've heard pilots have good eyes, but THAT'S amazing!   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907