Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: False Bottom Hole size  (Read 4207 times)

Offline jackson1

• 1st Kit
False Bottom Hole size
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:54:17 am »
I am in the process of building a new Mash/Lauter Tun and am wondering what everyone uses for a false bottom as far as hole size?  The way I built this I can't use a manifold or SS braid and am planning on using perforated SS plate with the outlet under that.  I found a piece of perf plate with 1/8" holes and used it once with a lot of issues as far as getting grain husks in my Wort.  I have since located a piece with 1/16" holes and am planning on giving that a try but am a little concerned that I may have problems with the holes pluggin up.  I know I could order one online with 3/32" holes but I would have to cut it down to fit (as well as spending more $).  Has anyone used 1/16" holes and if so were there any problems with plugging? 

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
Re: False Bottom Hole size
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »
I made a Papazian Zapap mash/lauter tun that ended up looking like this guy's: (http://www.mainebrews.com/news/2009/04/zapap-lauter-system/). I think I used 1/8" drill bit. But, I also put a mesh bag inside the bucket.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:54:25 pm »
1/16 should be fine.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline jackson1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 05:02:27 pm »
I hope so, I put quite a bit of time into this.  It's all SS with a water jacket that has temp probes both into the jacket and mash.  I figured with the water jacket I can direct fire and have no concerns about scorching my mash.  When I tried it with the 1/8" False Bottom I heated the jacket temp up to my strike temp and it held perfectly with no drop over an hour.  I am hoping to be able to step mash once I get it all working.