Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FINISH HIM!!!  (Read 6072 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
FINISH HIM!!!
« on: March 22, 2011, 01:33:18 pm »
Casey Haynes

I think this speaks for itself.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: FINISH HIM!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:40:18 pm »
Casey Haynes

I think this speaks for itself.

Well, one does squash a bug. That's about what it amounted to.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:43:28 pm »
Wow, AHA conventions are tough.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:52:27 pm »
I'm of mixed thoughts about this whole incident. (yeah, I'm a party pooper)

One thing I'm not of mixed thoughts is the fact that Casey defended himself. This is an important lesson - sometimes a little violence is appropriate. That's the good outcome from this.

The thing I'm of mixed opinion is the startling amount of publicity being given to this and the possible negative impacts it could have. Seriously, if this had been the quiet sort of thing that happens day to day, I think this would have all blown over and life would proceed apace appropriately.

The outsized attention makes me wonder if the bully in this case will be ostracized out of scope for being your usual punk kid. It also makes me wonder what the impact of the adulation will be on Casey himself.

OK, that's my two cents of child psychology and development... spend a lot of time thinking child safety, so naturally I see the downsides to this sort of stuff.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »
I was disturbed as well, but mainly because the slamee obviously has fractures but it hasn't caught up with his freshly concussed brain. I hope this kid went to the hospital immediately.

Additionally, I'm also not clear as to who was the bully. :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:52:04 pm »
It seems pretty clear to me from the way there was a ring of kids around Casey and that they were video taping the whole thing.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 03:56:32 pm »
I was disturbed as well, but mainly because the slamee obviously has fractures but it hasn't caught up with his freshly concussed brain. I hope this kid went to the hospital immediately.

Additionally, I'm also not clear as to who was the bully. :)

Those were my first thoughts too.  Was the little guy the bully or did he just finally snap only to be injured?  After the body slam, it's pretty clear the kid has a concussion.  Had a few myself over the years.  Hopefully he got medical care quickly.

It drives me nuts that services like YouTube help people glorify things like this.  I understand they can't sensor the content but do we really need to teach people this stuff.  I'm trying really hard to not sound like the old man yelling "back in my day...".

Sorry, off my soapbox.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 06:03:15 pm »
 The twerp had it coming. He should have gotten it after the first punch. Stupid needs consequences. He's lucky all he got was a concussion and some bruises.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 12:02:47 am »
I'm of mixed thoughts about this whole incident. (yeah, I'm a party pooper)

One thing I'm not of mixed thoughts is the fact that Casey defended himself. This is an important lesson - sometimes a little violence is appropriate. That's the good outcome from this.

The thing I'm of mixed opinion is the startling amount of publicity being given to this and the possible negative impacts it could have. Seriously, if this had been the quiet sort of thing that happens day to day, I think this would have all blown over and life would proceed apace appropriately.

The outsized attention makes me wonder if the bully in this case will be ostracized out of scope for being your usual punk kid. It also makes me wonder what the impact of the adulation will be on Casey himself.

OK, that's my two cents of child psychology and development... spend a lot of time thinking child safety, so naturally I see the downsides to this sort of stuff.

This is what drives me up a wall about this. At my middle school, we called this "Tuesday." I saw kids get jumped by 3-4 other kids, combination locks used as impromptu brass knuckles, one kid got kicked in the sack so hard he was coughing up blood.

This is frigging news now? This kid acted like a d-bag, got what was coming, and now he's famous? And the other kid is probably going to have to go see a frigging therapist to deal with his "issues."

I'm not saying the way I grew up was right, but damn.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:19:40 am »

This is what drives me up a wall about this. At my middle school, we called this "Tuesday." I saw kids get jumped by 3-4 other kids, combination locks used as impromptu brass knuckles, one kid got kicked in the sack so hard he was coughing up blood.

This is frigging news now? This kid acted like a d-bag, got what was coming, and now he's famous? And the other kid is probably going to have to go see a frigging therapist to deal with his "issues."

Where did you go to school? I never, ever, ever saw stuff like that.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 04:25:49 am »

Never? that was pretty much the norm back then - Florida ,Maryland , Massachusetts ,New Hampshire.
Heck the teachers even had the " board of education" to beat the kids here in Fla.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 05:28:41 am »

Never? that was pretty much the norm back then - Florida ,Maryland , Massachusetts ,New Hampshire.
Heck the teachers even had the " board of education" to beat the kids here in Fla.

I guess I got pretty lucky then. There was a lot of racism in my schools to be sure (my brother is Indian but ignorant people thought he was black) but nothing approaching this level of violence.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 09:23:00 am »

ding ding ding... Winnah winnah, chicken dinnah!
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 10:18:10 am »
Maryland ,

ding ding ding... Winnah winnah, chicken dinnah!

Ha, back then I lived in Greenbelt and they bused us over to Landover due to School Desegregation(`70s), talk about going from white bread to the hood :o

The worst school was Campbell Middle School in Daytona, they have 6ft fence topped with barbwire to keep the kids inside or so we thought :D

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:05 am »

For what it's worth, I think the answer to violence is always more violence.  Always.  Occasionally violence is the solution to other problems, but usually that's when those problems involve the existing threat of violence and you're just taking a pre-emptive strike (punching someone in the face because you feel like it is NOT pre-emptive; staging an assault on the armed forces "peacefully" occupying your country is pre-emptive, you're starting the fight but this is appropriate).

Look at the American Revolution as a good example.  We had problems, so we told the British off.  They sent some soldiers here to force us at gunpoint to behave.  There was only ever one way out of this.

Casey could have talked his way out of the whole incident.  He could have gone and told a teacher, and got the kid in trouble.  Then the kid would be annoyed by his angry parents, and show up and beat the @^*& out of Casey.  This would be a sub-optimal outcome.

Instead he threw the kid down.  Harsh, but effective, and metered decently; I mean he didn't hospitalize the kid.  The next time he comes back to start something, he'll be several feet away waving his arms and shouting.  It's highly likely Casey will think this is ridiculous and take it as an obvious confirmation that they both know who's on the losing end of the next fight.

Problem solved.

We need more of this.  We need people that stand up for themselves and others.  Look at the kids standing around at the beginning of that video.  Why didn't they punch that dude first?  They simply removed themselves from the situation, just like people here spot a rapist down an alley and leave them alone to finish their brutal sexual assault on whatever girl they have gagged (yes, this happens here; we call this "civilized").

Every person that stands up for themselves is another reminder that you can't get away with that kind of crap.  The ones that just won't put up with you make you look ridiculous, so you find someone else to target so you can shift ridicule off yourself and claim some form of social leadership through mob rule.  When they start punching you in the face, though, you start not wanting to play this game anymore; worse, if somebody punches you in the face for being a dick to them, they're probably going to punch you in the face again when they catch you being a dick to somebody else.

We like to throw around words like "Civilized" and "Mature" when we talk about living in a society where we "recognize the need to abstain from violent behavior and solve our problems with calm, peaceful discussion."  This is similar to how early to mid teens tell college kids they're "very mature" when they're 13 and want to have sex (ask any school counselor, they'll have hundreds of these stories).  Violence is a vehicle of peace:  you carry a sword, but you don't use it unless you really have to, and only to the extent necessary to protect yourself and those around you.  Those who see violence as a tool of coercion made to get you what you want through brute force are extremely immature.

It's sad we've separated society into rabbits and wolves; even sadder that we think it's "civilized" to try to declaw the rabbits and tell the wolves to play nice.